On the cusp - what next?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
whatajourney

On the cusp - what next?

Post by whatajourney »

Well done to all the children today no matter if they qualified or not. The 11 plus is hard work and doing the exam is an achievement in itself.
My DD qualified for SHS but is 2 places away from the last accepted rank of 2020. Anyone have any experience of whether she might get in or not? Is it worth going on a waiting list if she doesn't get a place in March? Would have loved it to be more certain than this!
LibbyRose

Re: On the cusp - what next?

Post by LibbyRose »

My daughter is the same for the school of her choice. I'd love to hear also. It's frustrating isn't it.. Celebrating but left with such uncertainty.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

We're the same for Crypt, just inside where they went to last year. I would like to try and find out whether they took children from a waiting list/late test after the 1st of March. Although I guess any from the late test who score higher would go above in the waiting list.

We have a safer score for Marling, but logistically it just won't work for us.

We're going to focus the next couple of weeks making sure we've chosen the right back up non-grammar option.

I think we're basically in for a long few months hoping for the best.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

At allocation day in 2020 SHS went down to approx 375, it’s definitely worth going on the waiting list and they also let a reasonable number in on appeal if you have a good grounds / reasons for wanting the school.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

On what basis would you appeal if you have a qualified score as I've been wondering about this?
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

If you have qualified it would be an over subscription appeal
ASHAZ

Post by ASHAZ »

We are the same for marling and6

6 places away from march 2020, dont have any data on sep 2020 to dec 2020.
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I currently feel like I want to run a survey asking who shared with Crypt and isn't going there :D

I think as we were in a safer position with DD it hadn't really occurred to me how many people share across various counties to cast their 11+ net far and wide. There is no way I would move our whole household for a school. We are still debating between our two likely comp choices and will then be submitting our form :D
Legofan

Post by Legofan »

Brackenboo - My child shared with crypt but won’t be going there.

A couple of years back somebody produced a spreadsheet to show how you could predict the rank for a school based upon what they ranked for another school. Basically nearly (say 90%) everybody shares with all schools.

For crypt, of the 800 they ranked:
125 ish will go to Pates
115 ish Tommies
120 ish Denmark Road
100 ish SHS
100 ish Marling
60 Ribston
20-25 go elsewhere
meaning they will go down to about 785-795 on allocation day, add in a bit of to’ ing and fro’ing and (with a bit of luck) your child should get a place either on allocation day or off the waiting list on reconsideration.

Nothing is certain but I wish you the best.

Is tommies doable logistically? If crypt rises in popularity it means tommies needs to go further down its list? You could put that 2nd on the CAF and the comp 3rd?
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

Tommies would work so will out that second just in case. I've looked at Marling again and would be too long a day. So will go Crypt, tommies... Then deciding between Chosen Hill and Henley Bank....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now