What are her chances of getting a place?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: What are her chances of getting a place?

Post by hermanmunster »

Anxious-mum wrote:
Brackenboo wrote:@anxious-mum, yes that is exactly how it works
Is there Any official paper work that outlines this?
Have a read of this https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and page 5 of this https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... t-2022.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

From the Gloucestershire County Council website (if you are applying from another area, your own LA will have something similar:

What does this mean in practice?
On the Common Application Form you will be asked to list your top 5 choices of schools in order of preference. After the closing date, we will put your child’s name on the list for each of the schools you have listed. Their position on the list will depend on how well your child fits the school’s admission criteria, for example, they may be higher up a school’s list if you live very close to it. The Equal Preference system means that at this stage, the order in which you ranked the schools will not be taken into account. Your child will be put on the list for every school you have applied to. Each school has a Published Admission Number (PAN) - the number of places it has to offer. So if a school has a PAN of 150, the first 150 children will be provisionally allocated a place and those children whose names fall outside the PAN will not be offered a place at this school. This is repeated for each school. If the situation occurs where a child can be offered a place at more than one school, we will then take into account the order in which you ranked the schools on your Common Application Form and we allocate the highest preference possible. This means the place from the lower preference school can then be allocated to the next person on that school’s list. If your child has been offered a school that was not your first choice, you will then have the opportunity to request for your child to be placed on the waiting list for your higher preference/s. All waiting list requests will be processed in the subsequent allocation rounds (for further guidance, please see Step 5). If your child is not allocated a place at any of your preferred schools, we will allocate a place at the nearest school with a space available after all preferences have been processed.

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... t-2022.pdf

Cross-posted with HM :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

hermanmunster wrote:@2socks - thanks for reminding me about Polgara's new table - one day I will work out how to format these ! Crypt certainly looks encouraging for the OP
Polgara_Glos wrote:Hi

Here are my collated results on what the lowest ranks offered were for the schools on allocation day for the last few years and qualifying where i have it.

Hopefully this will format ok!

Mar 21 Mar 20 Mar 19 Qualified 21 Entry
Ribston 590 547 454 590
Crypt 790 805 803 800
Pates 214 182 175 230
Denmark Road 425 424 406 446
STR 354 340 293 not known
Marling 424 460 340 not known
Stroud High 441 368 436 447

ETA This is the best I can get it to format.

Let me know of any corrections and I'll update.
PS have managed to format it
[tr][th]school[/th]
[th]mar 21[/th]
[th]mar 20[/th]
[th]mar19[/th]
[th]qualified 21 entry[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Ribston[/td]
[td]590[/td]
[td]547[/td]
[td]454[/td]
[td]590[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Crypt[/td]
[td]790[/td]
[td]805[/td]
[td]803[/td]
[td]800[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pates[/td]
[td]214[/td]
[td]182[/td]
[td]175[/td]
[td]230[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Denmark Road[/td]
[td]425[/td]
[td]424[/td]
[td]406[/td]
[td]446[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]STR[/td]
[td]354[/td]
[td]340[/td]
[td]293[/td]
[td]nk[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Marling[/td]
[td]424[/td]
[td]460[/td]
[td]340[/td]
[td]nk[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stroud High[/td]
[td]441[/td]
[td]368[/td]
[td]436[/td]
[td]447[/td][/tr]
MAGIC! Thank you. I'll copy to format the results thread one.
Anxious-mum

Post by Anxious-mum »

ToadMum wrote:From the Gloucestershire County Council website (if you are applying from another area, your own LA will have something similar:

What does this mean in practice?
On the Common Application Form you will be asked to list your top 5 choices of schools in order of preference. After the closing date, we will put your child’s name on the list for each of the schools you have listed. Their position on the list will depend on how well your child fits the school’s admission criteria, for example, they may be higher up a school’s list if you live very close to it. The Equal Preference system means that at this stage, the order in which you ranked the schools will not be taken into account. Your child will be put on the list for every school you have applied to. Each school has a Published Admission Number (PAN) - the number of places it has to offer. So if a school has a PAN of 150, the first 150 children will be provisionally allocated a place and those children whose names fall outside the PAN will not be offered a place at this school. This is repeated for each school. If the situation occurs where a child can be offered a place at more than one school, we will then take into account the order in which you ranked the schools on your Common Application Form and we allocate the highest preference possible. This means the place from the lower preference school can then be allocated to the next person on that school’s list. If your child has been offered a school that was not your first choice, you will then have the opportunity to request for your child to be placed on the waiting list for your higher preference/s. All waiting list requests will be processed in the subsequent allocation rounds (for further guidance, please see Step 5). If your child is not allocated a place at any of your preferred schools, we will allocate a place at the nearest school with a space available after all preferences have been processed.

https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... t-2022.pdf

Cross-posted with HM :)
Thank you ToadMum.

Forgive me for sounding stupid I just want to make sure I know what I’m doing.

So effectively when I send my form with 1st 2nd etc preferences the LEA send details to all the schools on my list with no info on the preference order. Each school then decides if they’d accept DD and go back to LEA with a Yes or No. the council them look at all the Yes’s and then allocate the child to the highest preference school they’ve been accepted at?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Anxious-mum wrote: Thank you ToadMum.

Forgive me for sounding stupid I just want to make sure I know what I’m going.

So effectively when I send my form with 1st 2nd etc preferences the LEA send details to all the schools on my list with no info on the preference order. Each school then decides if they’d accept DD and go back to LEA with a Yes or No. the council them look at all the Yes’s and then allocate the child to the highest preference school they’ve been accepted at?
that is it, and the reason why you should put them in the real order you want them - every year we get a parent who puts the local non-selective top "to be sure they get a place" and then can't understand why they haven't heard from the grammars (which there child would have got a place at )
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

hermanmunster wrote:@2socks - thanks for reminding me about Polgara's new table

PS have managed to format it
[tr][th]school[/th]
[th]mar 21[/th]
[th]mar 20[/th]
[th]mar19[/th]
[th]qualified 21 entry[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Ribston[/td]
[td]590[/td]
[td]547[/td]
[td]454[/td]
[td]590[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Crypt[/td]
[td]790[/td]
[td]805[/td]
[td]803[/td]
[td]800[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Pates[/td]
[td]214[/td]
[td]182[/td]
[td]175[/td]
[td]230[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Denmark Road[/td]
[td]425[/td]
[td]424[/td]
[td]406[/td]
[td]446[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]STR[/td]
[td]354[/td]
[td]340[/td]
[td]293[/td]
[td]nk[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Marling[/td]
[td]424[/td]
[td]460[/td]
[td]340[/td]
[td]nk[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Stroud High[/td]
[td]441[/td]
[td]368[/td]
[td]436[/td]
[td]447[/td][/tr]
Just remembered that I contacted both Marling and l didn't say due to data protection, but STRS apparently qualified 515 in 2021.

I'm not sure this really helps, but it helps to soothe my completer finisher mind!
Last edited by 2Socks on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anxious-mum

Post by Anxious-mum »

Thanks all

I feel so much better now I understand it.

Best get cracking on that form tonight. Going to have chat DD and remind her her friends are picking other schools, make sure she’s 100% happy with her choices.

Thanks again
thisisall2much

Post by thisisall2much »

I’m pretty sure that Ribston went to 550 in March 2019. At least that’s what the offer letter said in October 2019.
Spatzwood

Post by Spatzwood »

thisisall2much wrote:I’m pretty sure that Ribston went to 550 in March 2019. At least that’s what the offer letter said in October 2019.
Thank you very much for posting that. That would certainly help me breathe a bit easier and would also make a lot more sense with the 3 year average of 560 quoted by Ribston yesterday. Is any one able to confirm?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Spatzwood wrote:
thisisall2much wrote:I’m pretty sure that Ribston went to 550 in March 2019. At least that’s what the offer letter said in October 2019.
Thank you very much for posting that. That would certainly help me breathe a bit easier and would also make a lot more sense with the 3 year average of 560 quoted by Ribston yesterday. Is any one able to confirm?
One of the forum members is checking - agree it does sound far more likely