Short review on schools, please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ella7887

Short review on schools, please?

Post by Ella7887 »

We had very good news yesterday as our daughter got into the top 150 rank for all schools we shared with.

Due to Covid we only visited two of them - Stroud High and Crypt. Been on the virtual event of Denmark Road.
Unfortunately, we won't have a chance to go on any open evenings next week. I am doing my research but I would really appreciate some extra views on schools you may have!

We didn't like Crypt very much as they put no effort in their open event - they showed us around saying basically - "We are fabulous. Now go home".
We feel a good vibe around Stroud High but I have read they are very science-focused. And modern foreign languages. My daughter is very much into English and creative writing so her main criteria are "good library and finest English".

As for the girl - there are three more schools taken into consideration - which we have no idea about (totally clueless!) so please - share your observations - maybe you have a child in one of them already! I would be most grateful!
Polgara_Glos

Re: Short review on schools, please?

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I did a post last year as we couldn't visit at all last year (in the end she saw DR only!) https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 16&t=60955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's at SHS and loves it. Very into her English, History and animation. Loves her History lessons. She hasn't mentioned science at all? I'll ask her tonight. In year 7 they study French.

I wonder if the science is that Ribston and Denmark facilities are not great.... (at the moment, both are building new science blocks though so imagine that will be a positive thing for them both next year).

We didn't like the library at Denmark, there was some controversy when it was reduced a few years ago, but they are working on the one at SHS at the moment, so who knows?

Which did she get a good vibe from? Which can she see herself at?
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

It was a couple of years ago we looked at the girla schools, but we preferred Ribston over Denmark road.

Definitely factor in length of travel and transport options if they needed to use public transport/ you need to collect etc.
Ella7887

Post by Ella7887 »

Polgara_Glos wrote:I did a post last year as we couldn't visit at all last year (in the end she saw DR only!) https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 16&t=60955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's at SHS and loves it. Very into her English, History and animation. Loves her History lessons. She hasn't mentioned science at all? I'll ask her tonight. In year 7 they study French.

I wonder if the science is that Ribston and Denmark facilities are not great.... (at the moment, both are building new science blocks though so imagine that will be a positive thing for them both next year).

We didn't like the library at Denmark, there was some controversy when it was reduced a few years ago, but they are working on the one at SHS at the moment, so who knows?

Which did she get a good vibe from? Which can she see herself at?

We both really liked Stroud High as Stroud is kind of a relaxed little town, artsy and quirky.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Brackenboo wrote:It was a couple of years ago we looked at the girla schools, but we preferred Ribston over Denmark road.

Definitely factor in length of travel and transport options if they needed to use public transport/ you need to collect etc.
Yes, transport is so important. Not just for them, but for you - I did 3 runs to and from the school yesterday for the open evening (would have been 4 if not for the morning bus!)
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

I think they are all good so and location/ transport should be high on your list of criteria.

DD is at SHS and loving it so far. It seems more fun and relaxed than my son's experience at Tommies (although that may be partly down to child interpretation!). She has been doing lots of creative writing/ poetry in English this term.

Re science - they do seem to go straight in with proper science. Feels to me they are starting off at yr 8 level, but I'm sure that the syllabus has changed a lot since I was at school 30 years ago! She seems happy enough with it though.
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

We feel a good vibe around Stroud High but I have read they are very science-focused. And modern foreign languages. My daughter is very much into English and creative writing so her main criteria are "good library and finest English".

Well done to your DD on her results!
I have a DD who is now in her last year at SHS (how the time flies!). We were in a similar position to you at the time and had a good gut feel about it. She has had a very good experience there and has found it very balanced.
She is now doing A levels in Chemistry, Biology and English Literature (nothing like hedging your bets). Although she is a very good scientist, she is also very creative and during her time there has participated in school productions, Christmas music concerts etc.
She has had some great English teaching from what I can see (I've got an English degree myself) and has done very well with it.

Hope this helps - and good luck with your decision!
Elks_mum

Post by Elks_mum »

Anyone know how is PATE compare to STR and Marling?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Elks_mum wrote:Anyone know how is PATE compare to STR and Marling?
It might help to specify, in what way, exactly? The most obvious one being that two of them have boys-only entry at year 7 and the third one is co-ed?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Elks_mum

Post by Elks_mum »

ToadMum wrote:
Elks_mum wrote:Anyone know how is PATE compare to STR and Marling?
It might help to specify, in what way, exactly? The most obvious one being that two of them have boys-only entry at year 7 and the third one is co-ed?
DS is good in music - piano (prep Grd 4) and violin (prep Grd 5). He also keen in sport like swimming, tennis and football. He is capable but need to be pushed to shine.

I m new to gloucestershire grammar school. I saw lot of comment and shared result to most of the grammar schools in gloucestershire but not so much for Pate. I would like to know why pate has lower qualifying number than other school. What Pate is outstanding compare to others grammar school? Did they offer better curiculum and co-curiculum?

There is a post here mention that Pate show student out of the door if they have not good GCSE results. This make me feel uneasy.

I will visit school next week but not sure I can see much about the school apart from facilities. Opinion from parents can give me the inside out about the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now