What did you wish you knew before your DC went through 11+?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Lysander

What did you wish you knew before your DC went through 11+?

Post by Lysander »

Now we have got DC3 through the process I expect I won’t come back to this forum much, so I thought it might be helpful to other parents to have a thread containing tips from people who’ve just been through this.

My 3 DC all took the Gloucestershire test, and each child was better prepared than the one before! What I wish I knew from the beginning is:

1. The importance of reading. All the advice from the schools mentions this but I assumed as my DC were excellent readers they’d be fine. But it’s not just being good at reading, it’s actually doing reading that matters, every day and a variety of books. Audiobooks are excellent too for bringing in new vocabulary and inference skills.

2. Tutors don’t possess mysterious powers. You can DIY (as long as your child will co-operate) and there’s no secret to what you need to teach: there are loads of CEM books out there. This is much, much cheaper (not in wine or grey hairs though).

3. Mock tests are really helpful. You don’t need to pay for one through a company but these can be good. Mock tests under exam conditions are helpful too. We used the CGP CEM packs. My DC who averaged in the low 80s got top 150 for Pate’s. My DC in the high 70s got a comfortable score for STRS, Crypt and Marling. We also used an online service which offered mock tests. We didn’t do full tests until the summer term, but did quite a few on paper in August. DC walked out of the exam and said “that was exactly like a practice test”! Some test packs are really hard, and it’s a good idea for bright children who’ve never struggled to know what it’s like to be stuck and pushed for time, and carry on anyway, as this may happen in the real thing.

4. Playing the numbers game on countdown for a few months worked wonders for one DC’s speed and accuracy.

5. Non-verbal reasoning practice was deathly dull for one DC. So I bought a selection of logic puzzles and spatial toys (things like Rush Hour and Kanoodle) and for non-verbal practice we did half-and-half practice questions and games.

I’d love to know other parents’ tips: no use to me know but I expect if I’d had 4 or 5 DC I’d still have more to learn about this!
Last edited by Lysander on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
LibbyRose

Re: What did you wish you knew before your DC went through 1

Post by LibbyRose »

Hi
We have finished out journey too. My son passed easily for Tommies and crypt. My daughter, cusp for Denmark, should be in with ribston and shs.
Neither had tuition.
I'd say practice practice. Test papers during the summer holidays.
Tuition definitely doesn't equal passing, but might help. Look at where you child is doing at school.
Don't think comprehensive school is a bad thing. I know many who have done v well. Doctors, some who have 1sts in their degrees. Even university professors have come from my comprehensive.
The reason for us to try for grammar is feeling it would suit their personality. A child has the potential to do well at most schools with support.
Also it's ok to just want to be happy with an in the middle job. Some of those jobs are the most valuable.
Sorry if this is ott, I've been doing a lot of thinking lately.
I would say I wish I'd though a bit more about the fact my child's friends might be far away. Though this has some benefits! Also if not well off, it can be hard for your child to fit in with school trips and things. All the best everyone.
LibbyRose

Post by LibbyRose »

Sorry for the typos!
head_space27

Post by head_space27 »

That tutoring and over-preparation are not necessary for the Glos test. It is exactly as the school websites say - lots of reading, some maths practice and familiarisation with the test format over the summer plus a fair amount of natural ability, a calm outlook and a bit of luck on the day. It seems to me that the test really is trying to move away from anything that can be extensively taught/ tutored for, which I think is a good thing.
cazien

Post by cazien »

I have known pupils who have been tutored for the exam and then totally struggled at grammar schools, to the point where they had to leave. Tutoring is not necessary.
I would echo the previous comments regarding mock exams - they are excellent for preparing a child solely for experiencing exam conditions. The result does not bear any reflection however as to how a child will perform in the actual exam.
Last edited by cazien on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

I'd agree - there is certainly a risk of over-doing things like tution for no real gain after a point. Also the need to avoid getting obsessed with mock test results not being "good enough", when it's never clear what will actually be needed as a "pass mark" etc.

Mock tests etc are good however to get to understand how to fill the answer sheets in, and how to manage your time.

Reading and general maths practice help (especially if your junior school isn't really covering things in some areas) - where I think some specific practice is needed is on NVR as it takes a while to get the approach as to how to deal with a lot of the question types.
New 11+ mum

Post by New 11+ mum »

Lysander wrote:Now we have got DC3 through the process I expect I won’t come back to this forum much, so I thought it might be helpful to other parents to have a thread containing tips from people who’ve just been through this.

My 3 DC all took the Gloucestershire test, and each child was better prepared than the one before! What I wish I knew from the beginning is:

1. The importance of reading. All the advice from the schools mentions this but I assumed as my DC were excellent readers they’d be fine. But it’s not just being good at reading, it’s actually doing reading that matters, every day and a variety of books. Audiobooks are excellent too for bringing in new vocabulary and inference skills.

2. Tutors don’t possess mysterious powers. You can DIY (as long as your child will co-operate) and there’s no secret to what you need to teach: there are loads of CEM books out there. This is much, much cheaper (not in wine or grey hairs though).

3. Mock tests are really helpful. You don’t need to pay for one through a company but these can be good. Mock tests under exam conditions are helpful too. We used the CGP CEM packs. My DC who averaged in the low 80s got top 150 for Pate’s. My DC in the high 70s got a comfortable score for STRS, Crypt and Marling. We also used an online service which offered mock tests. We didn’t do full tests until the summer term, but did quite a few on paper in August. DC walked out of the exam and said “that was exactly like a practice test”! Some test packs are really hard, and it’s a good idea for bright children who’ve never struggled to know what it’s like to be stuck and pushed for time, and carry on anyway, as this may happen in the real thing.

4. Playing the numbers game on countdown for a few months worked wonders for one DC’s speed and accuracy.

5. Non-verbal reasoning practice was deathly dull for one DC. So I bought a selection of logic puzzles and spatial toys (things like Rush Hour and Kanoodle) and for non-verbal practice we did half-and-half practice questions and games.

I’d love to know other parents’ tips: no use to me know but I expect if I’d had 4 or 5 DC I’d still have more to learn about this!
I'm one of the mum's who is still waiting for my DS's score... Hopefully later this week. I'm not even in the Gloucestershire area but I've resorted to reading everything and anything 11+ :lol: I'm really pleased to read that your DC was scoring in the low 80's on CGP tests, mine was similar, so this gives me hope! Keeping everything crossed...
mad?

Post by mad? »

Good luck New 11+ Mum!
mad?
Snow123

Post by Snow123 »

New 11+ mum wrote:
I'm one of the mum's who is still waiting for my DS's score... Hopefully later this week. I'm not even in the Gloucestershire area but I've resorted to reading everything and anything 11+ :lol: I'm really pleased to read that your DC was scoring in the low 80's on CGP tests, mine was similar, so this gives me hope! Keeping everything crossed...
DS qualified with Pates within top 150 and also had scored around 80-85 with CGP tests - I personally thinks their test packs were too difficult...... :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now