SEN/Pastoral support experiences?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Willshe

SEN/Pastoral support experiences?

Post by Willshe »

Very proud DD has qualified for all the girls schools, and have visited/will revisit this week but have found it hard to really uncover this on a visit.

DD doesnt have a formal diagnoses yet, but one's likely to be forthcoming - her main struggles are around transitions, self organisation & some social interaction (she has lots of amazing strengths too!). Obviously these are all really important when progressing to secondary with lots of new people, so we'd really value insight - on here or via pm - from those whove already been through this process: what questions you asked/wished you'd asked when making the decision for similar children at any school? Or experiences of leaning on pastoral/SEN services specifically at Stroud/Denmark/Ribston.

Many Thanks!
Glos18

Re: SEN/Pastoral support experiences?

Post by Glos18 »

Congratulations to your daughter! Can't comment on the girls' schools but I have a son with dyslexia and prob on asd spectrum at Tommies. We had him assessed after 11+ privately for the dyslexia (they also reported on the asd bits but weren't qualified to do the diagnosis) and that was really helpful as it gave a basis for the school to use for recommendations. I sent the report to the school and met with the sen lead before he started so I would recommend doing both of these things.

I think sen is actually surprisingly common in grammar schools esp amongst boys. There are several boys in my son's class with asd / adhd / dyslexia/ anxiety/ various other issues. Your daughter may well find other girls similar to her. DS has really surprised me with his improvement in organisation skills since moving to secondary, so your DD may well surprise you!
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Thanks for this question answer. I was about to ask the same thing! (My DD sounds very similar and has a recent ASD diagnosis.) I've heard, anecdotally, that grammars are relatively 'safe' for those on the spectrum, and would be very keen to hear any experiences, especially re Denmark Road, Crypt and Pate's. TIA, and congrats to all.
np84

Post by np84 »

Being married to a teacher (not at any of these schools), he’s heard a lot of good about DRHS.
Willshe

Post by Willshe »

Glos18 wrote: DS has really surprised me with his improvement in organisation skills since moving to secondary, so your DD may well surprise you!
I can live in hope :lol:

Thanks tho, you are right that there will probably be others with similar challenges. And as I keep telling her, it'll be a big change for all of them getting to grips with everything, its not like she'll be joining an established class where they already know the score.

@np84 - I'm sure I just read another post from you saying he used to teach there tho, so are you saying what he's heard (recently) is in contrast to then?
np84

Post by np84 »

Yes, he used to teach there (DRHS) over ten years ago and still has friends there, plus one of our neighbours. They all speak highly of it and we hope our DD gets in there in two years!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now