Stroud High school v/s Denmark High school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
s.kris07

Stroud High school v/s Denmark High school

Post by s.kris07 »

My daughter has qualified for both Stroud and Denmark high. My daughter is interested in Maths, STEM subjects. i am keen to get some views re which school should we put as our first choice. any inputs is welcome and thanks in advance
Brackenboo

Re: Stroud High school v/s Denmark High school

Post by Brackenboo »

Did you or your DD have any preference when you looked round then? Location is also a factor in terms of length of day, how easy it is to collect a child if necessary.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

We were in this position last year my daughter had secure rankings for both of these schools. I think it’s important to look round them and see what your daughter prefers / suits her best. Both are excellent schools and offer good varied curriculum.

My daughter found Denmark too compact and really didn’t like the fact there was limited space. This was a big thing for her to the extent she refused to go back for another look. She is also likes maths and STEM, both of these schools we thought were strong in these areas
She is now in year 7 at SHS and loving it. We also live nearer to SHS so location and access to bus routes was also a factor, but we let her make the choice.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I know children at both schools who are loving it. Both schools are excellent, achieve excellent grades and positive experiences for the girls.

For all of these type of questions all schools offer a varied curriculum and the girls will get the highest grades at both schools across science and the arts. This is so important to remember as our children will change significantly as they experience the secondary curriculum. DD went in liking computing and animation and already fallen in love with History.

I have heard some very good stories about DRHS pastoral support and some not so good in that it's quite pressured to achieve. We knew someone who used to work there and they spoke highly of it.

My DD chose SHS. She wasn't able to visit SHS but we took her down to look round the site from the road and made use of the virtual tours and Q&As. Headteacher said 'We produce results, but we also produce young people' which was the approach we wanted. She absolutely loves it and she is blooming there, excited to go everyday. I found out that SHS is known for it's science but I didn't know that before.

She also went in person to DRHS and didn't like it. It felt cramped to her and we felt the classrooms were tired. But I know kids who think it's cozy and compact, and love it there. DHRS is also getting a new science block.

There is no wrong choice, both will be marvelous for your DD. What are they like location wise?
reach4thesky

Post by reach4thesky »

Hello,
My daughter is in SHS. We had visited both DHRS and SHS. Both the schools are good in their own way. Best would be to visit the school. We absolutely loved SHS and were highly impressed with the Head teacher's talk when we visited. Its a very lively environment and teachers seem cheerful and engaging. My daughter loves STEM subjects. Lot of importance is given to Science and Maths. Surprisingly daughter has taken a liking to languages and geography too recently. There are several opportunities for students to pursue their interest areas. After school activities and lunch time activities are great too. There seems to be an equal balance of everything. Homework is set for almost everyday. Teachers help students to be more resilient and responsible :) . I have seen my daughter's confidence grow with time. She has made some really nice friends who are from different ethnical backgrounds. Few of her friends commute from Swindon and Cheltenham. They love the bus journey too I am told.
Skytee

Post by Skytee »

First post on here. Hi everyone, I wish I'd found this forum before we started our 11+ journey, it's been so helpful this past week.

My Dd is also in same position having qualified for both. We were due to have gone to the DRHS evening yesterday but unfortunately had to isolate due to the plague. :roll: We will now also miss the Stroud open morning on Thu. We didn't have a chance to visit DRHS at all, and had a look around in May at SHS, which Dd loved.

@reachforthesky - may I ask what times the after school clubs at SHS run to? We are out of county, and wondered if out of county pupils needing buses miss out on these.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

SHS tends to run most clubs & activities over lunchtime, recognising that they have a wider catchment area. In addition there are some that have just started after period 5 before the end of day school registration / home time.

There are some sports matches / PE clubs that also run after school & they tend to finish at 4.30pm.
Skytee

Post by Skytee »

Oh fab, thanks for that!
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

There's been a few posts along these lines, particularly in recent years with covid impacting on open days etc, so it's worth looking back through the forum. I've also posted a few comments regarding DRHS, so I'll try not to duplicate!
DD is loving all of the lessons at DRHS, and science is no exception. They seem to do quite a few practicals which I feel is particularly important. That said, she's only been there for 6 weeks. They do 3 hours a week of science and only 2.5 of maths and English, so I think that gives an indication of how much they value it.
Most of the clubs are at lunchtime.
That said, I think earlier commenters are correct, choose whichever school she feels comfortable at and that she can get to easily... my daughter can get her homework done before some of her classmates get home! Bright, hardworking kids will do well wherever they go and you are choosing between two fantastic schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now