Pates or Stroud

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mangofish877

Pates or Stroud

Post by Mangofish877 »

DD got selected in the top 150 for all the Gloucestershire grammar schools. DD loves DT. We have a conflict between Stroud and Pates for product design.We were impressed with the creativity of Stroud designs, but in Pates we hardly saw students,yet the teacher was showing us product design enthusiastically.I am not sure how many hours of DT in Pates and Stroud. If supersenior parents can shed some light it,his would be a great deciding factor. What are the other beneficial areas and strengths of Pates grammar school.
Polgara_Glos

Re: Pates or Stroud

Post by Polgara_Glos »

DD is at SHS. She has (over a fortnight) 3 hours of art and 4 of DT.

On SHS website you can find the DT curriculum for year 7 and KS3.

Where are you? Location is important as the schools are quite far apart.
Mangofish877

Post by Mangofish877 »

Thank you.
I m based in Cheltenham.Just bothered about the travel too.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

SHS rotate through the different elements of DT between year 7-9. So each year is equally split between Food, textiles, graphics and resistant materials.

Hope that helps.
BusyandConfused!

Post by BusyandConfused! »

My girls love Pates, but I'll be honest that's not because of the DT. That's not really their thing, but they have commented that you don't do much of it. Apparently in year 7 & 8 they do 10 weeks of DT rotated with 2 different lots of computing. But Food tech doesn't really feature either - apart from sometimes on a Tuesday afternoon when they do different sessions not connected to core academic subjects.

So it is an amazing school - But and suits both my girls very well and they are very different. The school is obviously very strong academically, and also in Music and Art. But maybe less so in DT and related subjects.

We actually live much closer to Stroud, but we/they chose Pates as wanted mixed. But if your DD is particularly looking for DT it may not be the school for her.
YankBritmum

Post by YankBritmum »

We did Pates tour a couple of weeks back and I remember the 2 girl tour guides telling us the one design teacher had retired and they were still trying to find a replacement. This was in what I would call the woodwork/materials room!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now