Qualified for ribston but not shs is it worth appealing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Last1

Qualified for ribston but not shs is it worth appealing

Post by Last1 »

Hello fellow 11+ mums.

So dd got her results. She got 507 for ribston so qualified. She didn't qualify for SHS, but when I asked where dd had ranked, they said she was 480 and missed qualifying by 19 places! The cut off this year was 461.

SHS is our local grammar school. Dd has a sibling at shs.

I have 2 questions..

Is dd likely to get a place at ribston?

Would it be worth appealing to shs having just missed the rankings? Does having a sibling and living local to shs hold much weight?

Any advice would be amazing, also any successful appeal info would be great.
cazien

Re: Qualified for ribston but not shs is it worth appealing

Post by cazien »

I'd say she has a very good chance of a place at Ribston.

If you are prepared to put in the work to appeal, then why not? You have nothing to lose. Look at the appeals section for advice.

I doubt having a sibling at the school or living close to it would make a difference, but I may be wrong. Look at the schools website for their over-subscription policy.

I know a couple of years ago Crypt were considering changing their policy to give preferentially to local children when they are oversubscribed.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

There have been several successful appeals on this board for SHS in the past couple of years. Although your DD is quite near the cut off, if SHS is as popular as it was 2 years ago, your DD may actually end up over 100 places away from gaining a place.

Was the result a complete shock? If she is a high flier who had a bad day, and you have plenty of evidence of high performance / extenuating circumstances then def worth putting in an appeal. If you were never that sure if she would pass or not, it might be better to embrace RH rather than put yourselves through the appeals process.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Note that you will have to apply to the school & be turned down & can then appeal after March 1st, unless there's some kind of local review system.
scary mum
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

If SHS is the best fit for your DD then definitely appeal. Apparently they normally take a few on appeal anyway (from a thread last year) and they ended up below PAN at the point of appeals last year. No guarantees that this year will be the same, but I would be spending some time to get academic evidence together.
Ribston is a lovely school though, DD has friends there who are really loving it, so it may be your 2nd choice, but it's by no means a bad one.
Last1

Post by Last1 »

Thank you everyone.

Dd is very excited about the prospect of Ribston, we are having a look around Ribston tonight.

I think dd would be happy at either grammar school. It would just be easier for her to go to SHS as her sister already goes there so they could get the bus together. Also uniform would be cheaper :)

We will put Ribston down as 1st choice. If dd gets a place there then we will send her. I am just a little concerned that her ranking is still quite low so I don't want to get her hopes up.

We may look at appealing for SHS anyway, as you say, there is nothing to lose.

Would they look at dd more favourably if she has qualified for another grammar? Or Would we still need alot of academic evidence to prove she is of grammar standard?

I am curious as to why the cohorts vary so much.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Check your home LA's rules on this, but normally, you would have to have placed any school for which you know you would appeal above the one that you actually got. So if you rank schools, say
1. Ribston
2. SHS
3. Archway
and got Archway, you would be able to appeal both Ribston and SHS. But with the same order and getting Ribston, you might not automatically be able to appeal, because you got a higher preference. However, in some LAs, although you still don't automatically go on the waiting list for lower preferences, they do allow the right of appeal for them, without the intermediate 'change of preference' stage (to override the original awarding of the higher pref, iyswim).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Last1

Post by Last1 »

Ah OK thats useful to know, thank you :)