2022 Allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: 2022 Allocations

Post by ToadMum »

cazien wrote:
SwimmingUpstream wrote:https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... y-2022.pdf

The allocation day stats are now available.
These stats always make interesting reading!
I notice only 2 schools are over PAN (by 7 pupils) but quite a few schools are under PAN (by a total of 225 pupils :shock: ), so guess this is a low-birth rate year?

Also the number of preferences for schools -
Gloucester Academy had a total of 110 preferences but 210 pupils have been allocated a place.
Forest High had a total of 63 preferences but 73 pupils have been allocated a place.
Presumably both schools (Gloucester Academy especially) are the 'nearest undersubscribed school' for a number of applicants who were unable to be allocated any of their preferences for whatever reason - poor or just plain unlucky preference choice / late application etc.

IME apart from something like a multiple birth rocking up in 'PANth' position, a more common than should be reason for schools being a few places over PAN at national offer day is the late finalisation of EHCPs.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

2Socks wrote:Polgara, I think we should be careful with comparison of GCSE results at the best of times, but I think we should be extra cautious here. The cohort for the latest results was different to those qualifying now. crypt becoming co-ed seems to have really piqued interest and as such the bar for qualification has risen. It may well be that the results of the current year 6, 7 and 8 are more commensurate with the admission standard of the schools. It will be interesting to see what happens!
Realistically, it's not great to look at results anyway, as they are obviously so dependent on the cohort, but we have to use the evidence of performance that is available to us, but let's not forget the caveats.
You're right we need to be cautious as those were the last 'sat' exams and it wasn't the only factor for me in choosing a school. But they were the only stats out when I was choosing. I was really interested in how far each school developed each child and the P8 score in particular, which is supposed to be outside of the starting level of the student. It will be fascinating to see how the new cohorts impact on exam and P8 outcomes in a few years.
Mumto3Girls

Post by Mumto3Girls »

ToadMum wrote:
cazien wrote:
SwimmingUpstream wrote:https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/medi ... y-2022.pdf

The allocation day stats are now available.
These stats always make interesting reading!
I notice only 2 schools are over PAN (by 7 pupils) but quite a few schools are under PAN (by a total of 225 pupils :shock: ), so guess this is a low-birth rate year?

Also the number of preferences for schools -
Gloucester Academy had a total of 110 preferences but 210 pupils have been allocated a place.
Forest High had a total of 63 preferences but 73 pupils have been allocated a place.
Presumably both schools (Gloucester Academy especially) are the 'nearest undersubscribed school' for a number of applicants who were unable to be allocated any of their preferences for whatever reason - poor or just plain unlucky preference choice / late application etc.

IME apart from something like a multiple birth rocking up in 'PANth' position, a more common than should be reason for schools being a few places over PAN at national offer day is the late finalisation of EHCPs.
I came on here to find the link to the allocation stats for a friend who has a child sitting the test in September and isn't part of this forum and couldn't help but read through the thread. It is geekily fascinating.

I am Deputy Head at one of the oversubscribed, over PAN schools. We temporarily raised our PAN this year due to consistent oversubscription and the unfortunate situation last year where students in catchment who put us down as first choice did not get a place with us on allocation day. Nightmare for parents. We worked with GCC to ensure this did not happen again so raised PAN to accomodate all 1st preferences who are in catchment for this cohort. Nothing to do with late EHCP finalisations. There were still over 30 students who put us down 1st who didn't get a place - we simply don't have room for any more! - but all students in catchment with 1st preference are in.

Just thought I would clarify for procedural geeks who may not know that schools can do this in exceptional circumstances (grammars won't though!)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mumto3Girls wrote: I came on here to find the link to the allocation stats for a friend who has a child sitting the test in September and isn't part of this forum and couldn't help but read through the thread. It is geekily fascinating.

I am Deputy Head at one of the oversubscribed, over PAN schools. We temporarily raised our PAN this year due to consistent oversubscription and the unfortunate situation last year where students in catchment who put us down as first choice did not get a place with us on allocation day. Nightmare for parents. We worked with GCC to ensure this did not happen again so raised PAN to accomodate all 1st preferences who are in catchment for this cohort. Nothing to do with late EHCP finalisations. There were still over 30 students who put us down 1st who didn't get a place - we simply don't have room for any more! - but all students in catchment with 1st preference are in.

Just thought I would clarify for procedural geeks who may not know that schools can do this in exceptional circumstances (grammars won't though!)
I did say 'in my experience' and from my 'location' note, it is obvious that I am not in your area. It may never happen in Gloucestershire (and hooray! to that), but unfortunately, schools elsewhere are not necessarily so fortunate.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now