How much emphasis on Ofsted reports when choosing schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi Glos_Mum, I only knowa lot about Pate's, but have visited Tommy's and Crypt, both seem fantastic schools,with their own good points.

I have to sing the praises of Pate's, it is a fantastic school,my son is in Y11 and has enjoyed every day there.

It isn't the hot house some people may think, the children are welcoming,happy,polite and seem to all enjoy their school. My DC are not "nerdy" if you know what I mean,they are bright, but not unusually so.

Although the school is difficult to get into,with lots of competition from all sectors, if your DS is bright and you decide to go for it, practice is the key!

Both my DC wanted to go to a mixed school, although if my DD hadn't got in,we might have tried to persuade her to go to the High School.

If you want to know any other details the School website is very informative,or I'll help if I can!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi again Glos_Mum, you are right that you don't know if if could get in...no-one does know! but...if he doesn't try you'll never know! like you said you do need to keep all your options open,as for the travelling,there are buses from lots of areas,and parents club together,so don't let that put you off.

If you would both prefer a mixed school, Pate's is your place!

Sorry to keep harping on,but don't discount it just because you are unsure of his ability to pass the test,when he has been to his tutor for a while you might be able to have a clearer idea of what might be the possible outcome.

Our son is bright,but by no means a budding genius! he had no coaching and got in.....a bit of luck,lack of pressure on the day,and ....bingo!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Glos_Mum wrote: I would say that his four passions are Maths, Science, Art and IT - i'm not sure how the other schools cover these areas.
Think I might have to keep an open mind until I make those visits.
Well, Marling is good on the performing arts, as far as I'm aware - I've seen their Folk Band (Downfielders) at many a ceilidh, and have young relatives who are desperate to get their Grade 5 so they can be in the Senior Orchestra (with GIRLS!). Drama is supposedly OK, and I saw some very good 6th form art when I had a look round Stroud High, so guess Y7-Y11 art is OK as well. Also saw loads of computers in a new IT/CDT block (including textiles and cookery rooms, again shared with next door). I'd expect science to be good as well, but likewise with the other schools.

From what little I've seen of Crypt (went there to play in a concert one evening), it felt quite macho, but I may be wrong, of course.
Capers
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

capers123 wrote:[

From what little I've seen of Crypt (went there to play in a concert one evening), it felt quite macho, but I may be wrong, of course.
Last edited by Glos_Mum on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Glos_Mum,

If you can make time in daytime, give the schools a call and ask to visit. Don't worry if your partner/husband can't go, as it's just an 'initial impression' visit.

It will prepare you for the more formal visits in September, when I'd suggest that you take your son as well.

And, hey, I've got no more experience of this lark than you - just we happened to look round last September to eliminate the schools we wouldn't bother with (or to be more precise, will go way down the list). I found it quite interesting. We looked at many of the grammars & secondary schools in the area, and some of the ones we thought would be OK we have discounted; this isn't because they're bad, or reputation, or existing pupil base, but because either we don't think our child would fit in there, or that there are closer schools that are so similar that any advantage is outweighed by the travelling distance.

We are also doing this so we have a fall-back position. I'm pretty sure that DD will pass 11+, but having never done it before, we don't know how she'll react to exam conditions - she might have a bad day for no particular reason, and fail.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now