Sample papers and target scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Llamoyt

Sample papers and target scores

Post by Llamoyt »

Has anyone gone ahead with the 11+ for their child when he/she is performing better on the non verbal than the verbal and numerical?

(My daughter is keen on Ribston or Denmark Road).

She seems to do okay in the non-verbal scoring between 70-80% (timed). But the other two papers she is struggling. Around the 50% mark (timed). I’m sure I can help her get that figure up a bit by the test day and I’m working with her to tackle weak areas. But realistically it won’t go up dramatically. And from a bit of Googling most websites suggest you need somewhere in the region of 75-85% on these papers so she’s way off.

(We are doing CGP and Collins books if that’s relevant).

Im wondering whether this is all unrealistic and if I should just withdraw her now rather than put her through the pressure of a test. She was out of the mainstream school system for a couple of years so she’s had a huge amount to do to catch up with her peers. She has worked hard to get to this point but I don’t want to get her hopes up if this is beyond her.

Has anyone had a child get through on a good non verbal score when they’ve been weak on the other two papers?
Polgara_Glos

Re: Sample papers and target scores

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Sorry I can't be more help but I have my DC in the same boat. Hopefully forum will pick up after the summer and we'll get some responses.
Llamoyt

Post by Llamoyt »

Polgara_Glos wrote:Sorry I can't be more help but I have my DC in the same boat. Hopefully forum will pick up after the summer and we'll get some responses.
Thank you and good luck with your DC.

One thing I have noticed when going through Maths is how little she’s covered so far in school (good school, great teacher). It made me wonder how much of an impact the pandemic has had, and I’ve just compared KS1/2 SATS performance from 2019 and 2022. A marked decline nationally. Wondering if this will have a knock on impact on 11+ performances / expected standard too. The kids sitting the test this autumn have missed such a large chunk of KS2 classroom time!
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Yes - me! My DD had a knack for the NVR (usually about 80%), but other two areas pretty shaky when we had a bash at home, esp maths (usually about 40-50%). I would recommend doing 2 or 3 mock tests. My child's performance in those real-life situations was so much better, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a completely different person. I've heard other people say the same, that their child rose to the occasion when they needed to. HTH. Oh, and good luck x
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi

I'm assuming you're sitting this September?

I'd have a look at the sections where your DC is falling down & identify what the problem topic is and perhaps do a couple of focused sessions on it.

At this time, I'd also probably go over 'technique / approach' to work quickly, move on if its going to take you too long to work it out & attempt the questions you can do & guess the ones that will take too long. They can improve the odds by ruling out the obviously wrong answers too. Beware the boxes getting out of order though! Being prepared for the exam itself can help them cope & know what to expect than be completely thrown - ie doing 2 papers back to back short break in between etc.

As far as I'm aware only Pates require a score in each section - the other Glos schools set their own 'standard' to pass and its across all 3 - but schools may adjust each year and will vary with the cohort.

Its also worth bearing in mind that some children will have been heavily tutored, some had some guidance & others little / none...I've no experience with other areas, I'd doubt that Glos is as 'super selective' as some other areas - so that may also help you feel more comfortable.

Good luck
mini.me

Post by mini.me »

My DD was very similar - great NVR, but weaker in the other sections and similar scores to your DD. She got into Ribston. Good luck!
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Llamoyt - don't give up! If you are doing the CGP mock exam papers, they are impossible for most normal kids to do in the time. Is the issue that she can't do it fast enough or can't do the content? If the issue is speed, don't worry too much - although you have to be fast, the real thing isn't as fast as the practice papers.

DS didn't do very well in a local mock exam before summer hols. We worked really hard with him over the holidays. In another mock after the holidays, his score had gone up by 5%, as had everyone else, so he was still low ranking. We considered giving up like you but didn't. He ended up having a qualifying score for all the schools, and is very happy at Tommies.
Llamoyt

Post by Llamoyt »

Thank you - there are some really positive replies here.

Speed wise she’s okay - her mental arithmetic is pretty good. I think the main issue is that there are a huge chunk of topics she has never covered in school, and mentally she gets a bit panicky when coming up against a question or topic she doesn’t know. I’ve gone through a few tests with her and used some mock papers to troubleshoot and improve areas which I think represent low hanging fruit for her. I’m hoping that mastering a couple of extra maths questions plus trying out a few more of the verbal papers will be enough to win her a few extra marks.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

Having 2 daughters who have sat this test I have learn’t as I have gone along. I would recommend getting your DD to complete the actual sample CEM papers issued by CEM on the school websites. I think these are representative of how the test could be.
I think the GCP NVR number of questions in set time is a lot lower and compared to other test papers and the questions need to be a lot answered quicker.
I did a lot speed work with my DD in the last few wks in sone cases getting her to do 2 x 10 minute tests in 10 minutes.
They sat sone mocks and did extra work in the week areas - one being cloze passage, this was also a speed and accuracy thing.
Maths was always quite strong - but did lots of practice on speed and word problems.
I now have a daughter at Ribston and one at SHS, both chose schools for different reasons and very happy.
Choppy

Post by Choppy »

Seconding what Ginger40 says about trying the sample paper that the grammar schools put on their website. Mocks aside, this was the only full paper we had a go at, and DD says it was the closest match to the actual test.