Removed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Glos_Mum

Removed

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi Glos_Mum

It's just a guess but Pates may refuse to do individual visits because the demand would be so high if they did allow them and it may disrupt the school too much...I know competition for a place at the school is extremely high. I went to the open evening last year and there were many more parents at Pates than any other of the schools I visited, I would go so far as to say perhaps double of the other grammar schools.

On this forum it is the general opinion that schools who don't allow visits other than on the official open days/evenings may have something to hide, but I am sure this is not the case with Pates - did they give a reason for their refusal?
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

Pates I guess don't have to rely on people choosing the school as demand always outstrips supply, are u hoping to see the school in action or just look at the building as on the 26th there is a parents event for years 8(and 7 I think) for science which I am sure you could sneak a look round at
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi Glos_Mum, I think the other posters are right in their assumptions as to the reasons why Pate's would be unwilling to do a "tour" for one family.I don't think this ever happens.

There are very often exams going on, not always at the same time as other schools, so this could make it difficult. Sats and GCSE's are sat at different times throughout the school year.

As a Pate's parent, I can tell you that the school has a very good atmosphere, The children always seem happy, well mannered, and achieve the very best they are able.The teachers are second to none,and the extra curricular activities are varied and extensive.
If I can be of any further help please ask or PM me.

Pmx2
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But they could offer group tours - other high achieveing schools manage this :lol:
magwich

question fr pates parents

Post by magwich »

Before our DD took the pates exam they were very un cooperative about a visit but once she had passed they could not have been more helpful. We had about anhour of the head's time plus a comprehensive tour of the school and a further interview with the head. We felt we had all the time in the world and were not hurried at all even though we had been open about the likelihood of her attending a school in neighbouring warwickshire.
Burneth

Re: question fr pates parents

Post by Burneth »

magwich wrote:Before our DD took the pates exam they were very un cooperative about a visit but once she had passed they could not have been more helpful. We had about anhour of the head's time plus a comprehensive tour of the school and a further interview with the head. We felt we had all the time in the world and were not hurried at all even though we had been open about the likelihood of her attending a school in neighbouring warwickshire.
Why does this not surprise me? Pates always "fish" for the best students...which is probably why they are one of the highest achieving schools in the south west!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

and there was me thinking their popularity was because I was an ex-pupil...
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Have one child currently at Pates and two that have left, I can add my agreement to PMX2. There is a lovely atmosphere in the school, children all extremely well mannered, nice, jolly, friendly and there is no bullying as far as I can tell, apart from the usual 'banter' and the usual girls falling out with each other etc. It is a relatively small school, for secondary level, and so the teachers tend to know all the pupils and the pastoral care is second to none, especially in the sixth form. I would also add that it is nowhere near as competitive and stressful as those who do not have children at the school would like everyone to believe. It is not particularly 'snobby' and there are children from all kinds of backgrounds, races. In fact with my middle son it was almost a bit too laid back!! (but thats another story and he still had a fab time there). The biggest hurdle is getting in admittedly but, once in, they have a pretty stress free time. Those children who are stressed and perfectionists are probably going to be like that wherever they are. Remember they are only following the same syllabus as at other schools, albeit probably a bit quicker. Obviously it does tend to attract the 'high flyers' but having met all my children's friends from there (boys and girls) I can tell you they are all extremely pleasant 'normal' children and really good fun to have around. I would think the reason they are loathe to do a short visit at the moment is because they are in the middle of GCES, AS, A2 exams, try them again a bit later on in the term. I know last year, admittedly after the exam, they did a number of shorter tours for parents.