Question Types for Glos Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PMJ

Post by PMJ »

Tolstoy wrote:Do the Walsh papers cover the NFER 15 questions, the BS 21 or more?

Also are packs one and two of the same difficulty or are they graded?

Thanks.
Doesn't answer your question, but Bright Sparks say they are graded when you read the information leaflet inside. I couldn't find this information online, which was a bit annoying, so I bought the second pack thinking if they weren't graded it didn't make any difference and if they were, it would be better to go for the more difficult ones (I'm keeping back a couple of NFer tests for the last week).
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

Yes having done the papers was finally getting around to reading the instructions and noticed that it says they are graded. However for my son having done papers 1-6 has shown a consistant pattern. He has scored significantly better in the odd numbered papers that the evens? In papers 1, 3 and 5 he progressed from 75 to 81 yet in papers 2,4 and 6 his best score is 68 and he dipped as low as 53 on paper 4, boy that was scarry but he thankfully got 85 in his 11d Nfer paper on the same day which raised the spirits.

I always get him to do two papers at a time as that is what will happen on the test day. Thankfully his average over the two papers is going up significantly over the weeks but it is interesting to see that sitting two at a time does make a significant difference. He always does better or worsefor you pessismists in one, sometimes significantly worse.

I am finding the Tutors dailies excellent and since DS has seen the schools he finally wants to practice and pass. Last night I felt he was finally getting somewhere with his spelling and thinking more about the vocab and how he can work out the answers rather than guessing if he sees a few words he doesn't immediatly recognise. If you haven't got any yet would definately recommend them. We are coming to the end of level three and he is scoring well.
Orson

Post by Orson »

Bright Sparks 2 & 4 are definitely harder than 1 & 3. 4 is particularly horrible and more difficult than the real thing will be.

Orson
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Orson

My children do not like 4 either!

Patricia
ziggy13

Post by ziggy13 »

I couldnt get Bright Sparks 1-4 initially so I bought BS pack 2 (5-8). My DS has done 5 & 6 (with 78% and 83% result) and we were quite pleased with this. Does this mean 5-8 are harder than 1-4? THIS IS ALL TOOOO CONFUSING!!! He visited Tommies yesterday and loves it - so much that he did an extra practice paper tonight! Don't know how long that will last though - I have to bribe him to do two a week!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I am assuming so but DS1's marks are going up probably because of the groundwork that is being done.

When we went through paper 4 together afterwards he could have got in the 70's but normally when we do the corrections his 'could have' mark is much higher so I do think that one was a particular toughie for some reason.

I am working on the assumption that if DS1 is getting scores in the high 70's early 80's on BS's and Walsh's, over two papers consecitively, in the next few weeks then he is in with a good shot at Tommies (we're not there yet). Both DS's loved the Tommies open evening but am trying to convince son that he probably would be able to get a Warhammer club up and running in Crypt if need be :roll: He has almost succeeded in doing so in his Primary.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Actually Crypt does have a Warhammer Club, they meet after school on Fridays between 3.15 and 5.15!

I know as saw it today as I was at the school trying to get my DS's locker open .... his combination lock had "jammed"! :roll: :roll:

Jack of all trades me! :lol: :lol:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Is someone able to clarify the question types used for me please. If it matters at all, for Pates but I assume all Glos. grammars sit the very same test.

I've read that out of the main 21 types of question described in Tutors, only 15 are used in Gloucestershire grammar tests. Is this the first 15 Tutors CD "numbered question types" or the first 15 alphabetically in IPS "letter question types?"

Also, would you expect to see all question types in each paper or are they split between the two?

Many thanks, Jimi
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Hi,

It is the first 15 niumbers for Tutors. There is a sticky in the Verbal Reasoning forum which will give the equivalent IPS letters.

I am basing my assumption on what happens in Bucks. There they are tested on some in the first and the rest in the second and certain types carry over on both papers but as you don't know which you just need to make sure your child is confident in answering all the types.

Orson/Capers will know more about this or possibly others who have been through the experience before, I haven't.
patricia

Post by patricia »

The First 15 from The Tutors.

IPS minus types H I K N O S

Patricia