Hello - a pointer please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Thanks

Think will go and look round Ribston - is the other side of Glos for us and we aren't on bus route but it would be good to have another possibility as well - also to compare 2 grammars. The travel may prove impractical though and she may find none of the friends she makes there live anywhere near us which would be a shame.
Have to say we are lucky as we looked round our local comp this week and dd said would be happy there too - so in a much better position than some poor people with no or few options.
Am really grateful for all the help, reassurance and tips. Haven't got much to offer in return as ds sudden desire to take test has come out of the blue - so I'm abit in the dark really. One thing which is proving good in our house though is a fun way to remember the words ds gets wrong in the practise papers. Next day or so I write them on a white board with the definitions. Ds looks at them until she thinks she knows them, then she erases the definition and I ask her the word. She can only rub it off if she knows the definition straight away. If she hesitates or gets it wrong it stays on until the next day. She loves this as she seems to feel she is in competition with me and is beating me if she shouts out definition and rubs it off.
Bring me sunshine ....
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Jen'smum wrote: she may find none of the friends she makes there live anywhere near us which would be a shame.
Unfortunately this will be a problem with all of the grammar schools as they take children from all over the County through selection. We luckily live locally to DS's grammar school, however the majority of the children attending do not. I think it will be the same with Denmark Road. This is where you become a useful taxi service!

Thankfully, DS is not worried about that, and still plays with friends locally, who are attending other schools....in fact he still has his "girlfriend" (erm!) from primary school!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hello Jen's Mum, welcome from me too.

I am also one of the crazy posters!
I have one son at Pates just started in the 6th form, and my "baby" girl just started there and loving every second!

I hope you find help and support here we are a lovely bunch! :D

Proud Mum x2
cheltdad

Post by cheltdad »

a good measure is to go to ************ at half term if you hit the high 90s-100 then pates is a strong possible, gloucesters a cert.

I have no connection to ******** but have 2 children do the tests there to determine how they are doing when in a 'strange' environment , one scored 96-100 and got pates the other was low 90s and got a pass for every grammar just missed pates - not exact, we didn't use a tutor, did it
ourselves.

*****removed by a moderator, breaks rules on advertising