Strategies for the next 4 weeks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
staycalm

Strategies for the next 4 weeks

Post by staycalm »

As it's gone a bit quiet on the Glos forum I wondered how everyone else is approaching the remaining weeks. Any tips?
Should we do lots of practice tests and risk getting very bored and/or stressed out over scores, or should we just gently work on techniques?
At this stage I feel they can either do it or they can't, all we can do as parents is build their confidence that they're as ready as they can be.

And am I alone in wondering whether we should have embarked on this whole stressful process?

Perhaps it all seems a bigger deal to me than it does to my daughter!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi staycalm, your name says it all!

In my humble opinion, I would say gentle revision of techniques, reminders etc, but don't bombard!

Neither of my DC wanted it mentioned too much, they wanted to get on with living! It is a difficult time though, and I don't envy you. I decided I wouldn't mention it after tea -time, as a general rule in my own head.

I became obsessed and kept asking her lovely tutor (out of earshot), every time I saw her, will she be ok ? is she ready? She told me not to fuss and to have confidence in my own daughter's ability.

This sounded easy, but I knew it wasn't going to be. I had to learn to keep most of my worries unspoken. For us it was a little more difficult, as we already had a DS at the school where my DD wanted to go. The pressure was doubled in fact , for her.

You will get through it, just try to keep it in proportion in your own head, no-one is ill, and there is nothing life-threatening about the situation. it may be important, but there are more important things in life!
Burneth

Re: Strategies for the next 4 weeks

Post by Burneth »

staycalm wrote: And am I alone in wondering whether we should have embarked on this whole stressful process?
No, you are definitely not alone, the feelings you are experiencing are exactly what every parent undertaking the selective school process goes through...just try not to let your DD pick up on your stress....difficult I know, but it will really help her if she thinks you are relaxed about it all. Panicking will not help!
staycalm wrote:Perhaps it all seems a bigger deal to me than it does to my daughter!
You have hit the nail on the head....it is perfectly normal to feel this way, but as parents we only want the best for our children so this is only natural.

The whole process is a roller-coaster of a ride...but it will be worth it in the end...pop into Rehab if it all gets too much for you, they are a friendly bunch in there honestly!

B

xx
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Go with your instinct as each child's needs will be different.

I would say if your child has reached the scores they need for their chosen school then they need do very little, the odd test say to keep the techniques fresh in their mind. If you haven't and your child's scores are still increasing significantly when tested, i.e they haven't reached their plateau, then keep going till they are getting the scores they need or the scores they are achieving are remaining at the same level despite the work they are doing. Bare in ming though that this is my first experience of 11+ing but I was a teacher many moons ago. Others will konw better.

I still believe I am doing the right thing despite the stress but having just seen the school DS will go to if he doesn't get a Grammar space I am no longer worried about the alternative. They are streamed on entry and moved between streams if appropriate. The majority of the children looked to be working well and our student guide was lovely.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmeraldE

Upset Kids

Post by EmeraldE »

Awww, I do feel for you and your DC. I think maybe just try not to focus too much on the lower scores, especially as it is a new type of paper. Maybe revert back to an old past paper to build that confidence again and lots of praise for the ones done correctly. Think it is just such a nervous time for adults and kids...sensitive and loving all the way as I am SURE you are doing. Very difficult I know..I often find myself saying 'you should have known that' and 'what happened there?' oh and my current rhyme 'well the right ones are good but some careless mistakes' Sheesh, I have turned into a teacher!! I am gonna try to stop all negative speak and just go over in a calm way the ones got wrong and remind of technique.

This is such a tortuous process. Keep smiling...it will all come good in the long run :0)
Glos_Mum

Re: Upset Kids

Post by Glos_Mum »

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now