Where will your child be sitting the exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Quantum-Man wrote: Additionally, a friend whose son sat the tests last year, said that the second test was harder and bore no resemblence to previously learn't work. She couldn't elaborate, because her son was really ill when he took the test, and blanked most of it out afterwards... He did pass though, thankfully.
What was so different with the test, does anyone know?
Thanks
Welcome Quantum-Man

Hopefully somebody will be along shortly with advice regarding the Tommies letter, but regarding the latter part of your post, my DS felt the second paper had questions that he hadn't encountered before too. It is very difficult after the event to get a child to elaborate and certainly a year later he can't come up with anything further than "they weren't on the practice papers". Not helpful I know, but he said he was able to answer them so perhaps they were just variations of the more familiar question type(s) so please don't panic!

Saying that, DS did not undertake very intensive practice for the test and wasn't tutored, so he may have just been unfortunate and didn't come across those question types in the practice papers from Nfer.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Welcome!

DS took the test at Tommies last year-you should have had a short test paper with your letter so I would ring and query.Although they are only about 10 questions long!

With regard to the second paper-DS says that it was much harder than the first paper,more questions and 5 mins shorter time,he said there were lots of harder code type questions.He was tutored and didn't say there were any types he didn't recognise,just that they took longer to work out.He passed,but not for Tommies,and is now happy and settled at Crypt!

Good luck,
GM
ziggy13

Post by ziggy13 »

Just got my letter from Tommies and we don't have the 'enclosed short familiarisation test' either. Am I right in thinking that every child who sits this test, regardless of location or gender, will sit exactly the same test?
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Yes,everybody sits the same test,regardless of location or gender.

GM
Orson

Post by Orson »

Capers123

See you there, my friend.

I'll be the one carrying the potter's wheel under my arm. :roll: I'm renowned for creating works of art from a gloopy mix of lentils, soya milk and carob.

Orson
Quantum-Man

Post by Quantum-Man »

gloucestermum wrote:Welcome!

DS took the test at Tommies last year-you should have had a short test paper with your letter so I would ring and query.Although they are only about 10 questions long!

With regard to the second paper-DS says that it was much harder than the first paper,more questions and 5 mins shorter time,he said there were lots of harder code type questions.He was tutored and didn't say there were any types he didn't recognise,just that they took longer to work out.He passed,but not for Tommies,and is now happy and settled at Crypt!

Good luck,
GM
Thanks for the responses. Phoned Tommy's but of course school is shut.
Shirehall cleared it up , it was their mistake and that the familiarization test will come later...
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dd_ds

Post by dd_ds »

my DD is sitting hers at Tommies. is anyone else worried about the possible leaking roof in the hall? might be just a rumour?
ziggy13

Post by ziggy13 »

The children don't take the test in the hall - or at least that's what the head told us at the open eve. There will be small groups of children - sitting with their friends from Primary school - in classrooms. Much better than everyone in a leaking hall!