How did you get on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Last year,the letter arrived on the results day-don't know if it's the same this year.letter from Crypt gave the score,letter from Glos CC re Tommies just said whether DS had reached the qualifying score.Letters last year for Pates said if score was in top 120,or if not,in the next 40,or not in the top 160(so no chance of a place).

Lets hope its all good news in those letters!!

GM
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

We had 2 letters as we had requested scores from Crypt and Tommies-so yes more than 1 letter I'm afraid.We opened the Tommies letter 1st and were disappointed,but then we had good news in the Crypt letter.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

More than 1 letter :shock: May be a bit dim but I hadn't clicked on to that. Wouldn't it be horrible if 1 arrives with bad news and you have to wait for the post another day for the other results!

I pity the poor post men/ladies in Gloucestershire that day!

Have noticed on here comments that Tommies and Denmark Road just say reached/ or not reached the required standard. Does anyone know from past experience how likely a child is to be offered a place if they have passed?

I mean does a school pass 300 children for 120 places or do they tend to pass a similar amount to the places available?

Thanks
Bring me sunshine ....
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Jen's mum-I can only speak from last years experience.Last year if you passed for Tommies or Denmark then you got a place-this was also true of Crypt-but not for Ribston.
However,the standardisation is changing this year and this may have an effect.Last year a child had to score 105 on BOTH papers to pass for Tommies and Denmark,this year they have to get a score of 210 in total-I know of at least 1 boy who scored more than 210 for Tommies but did not get the 105 on the 2nd paper,he didn't not get a place after appealing either.
Last year Crypt qualifying score was 107.5-and if you got this you got a place.What they set this years pass mark at is anybodys guess!

Confused??? It is so difficult to second guess what is happening-and nigh on impossible to guess what thousands of parents are putting on their CAF.Yes,its is an advantage knowing the scores-but unfortunately still not a guarantee of a place(unless in the top 120 for Pates and any other school that tells you the ranking).There was a real issue last year with some schools telling you the rank and others not-and even then,is it a "proper" rank?A child may be ranked in more than one schools' list-so distorting the figures.

From experience,and I hope others who have been through this process will agree,it is difficult to second guess,but a pass is an extremely good place to be in come March.

GM
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Thanks gloucestermum. Daft when they all do it differently isn't it. My dh has just pointed out that at Denmark Road open evening, the head did say a pass doesn't constitute an offer of a place. Passed me by that one!

Sounds though that passes are hard to come by, so presumably they aren't passing twice as many children as they have places. Guess its one step at a time then. Fingers crossed for the end of the month.

Don't want to tred on Tolstoy toes - but don't know results date - only later in month. Would someone please pm me with date so as not to force it on Tolstoy. Now test is over, there is a gaping void where the test date was - I need another date to stress over! :wink:
Bring me sunshine ....
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now