How did you get on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PMJ

SHS - idle speculation alert

Post by PMJ »

We ticked Stroud High only on the form as we had no real interest in traveling any further given what I deem to be the high quality of comprehensives in the area (though I did consider ticking more just so we'd get more information from more schools).

I don't give a stuff about snobbery - we went to see Stroud High and I thought it was just lovely as did our daughter. If she doesn't get in, she'll still be educated in a more caring environment than I was. Anyway, in my idle speculations I was reckoning that Stroud High would appeal primarily to a local catchment and if anything there would be more 'trading up' - people from sitting the test at Stroud High and getting in at eg Pates - than there would be people traveling the other way.

So my guess is that a greater proportion of girls below the 'top 120' will eventually get in than might be the case elsewhere.

Of course if anyone actually has any data that would support this I'd be interested.
staycalm

Post by staycalm »

Here lies the difficulty in interpreting the indicative results, PMJ, the potential duplication of 'top 120' candidates across the lists. The numbers actually sitting the test at the local school therefore give no indication of the numbers that may want to be considered for a place.
I admit it never occurred to me to look at any other than our local school, how long ago September seems now!

silverflora said

'Have thought of stalking the postie really early in the morning but then this will really confirm that I have gone round the twist!!!'

me too, oh the descent into madness.....!

:shock:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I think the trading probably works the other way hence the schools other than Pates not being able to give a cut off number of passes. Many living in the Cheltenham area will want Pates and sensibly register there as it is the nearest but because of the difficulty in getting a place they will be forced to go further afield if they want their child to have access to a Grammar school as is their right in Gloucestershire. Also there is the issue that Pates is the only co-ed which many parents would prefer as an enviroment for their children. We are a very male household and I did have to think long and hard about whether it would be right for my boys to be taught in an equally male enviroment. The fact that the six forms are mixed and more importantly the school buses will be mixed is very important for us and negates against the time they do spend travelling.

I did tick practically all boxes in order to have as comprehensive a guide as possible but it will undoubtably back fire and create more panic :roll:
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
zempavlob

Post by zempavlob »

silverflora wrote:

Just one more thought - we get our post very late every day and I hate the idea that everyone will know their scores at school apart from DD - especially if the teaching staff also know early and give none too subtle hints to the children. If they let DD know the expected bad news before I can, I won't be too pleased. Have thought of stalking the postie really early in the morning but then this will really confirm that I have gone round the twist!!!

hi

I rang Shire Hall today and asked whether schools are informed of results either before parents (or afterwards) - the answer is no, they aren't.

thought I'd pass this on to the forum in case anyone else hears this 'myth'.
silverflora

Post by silverflora »

I had read a post from ProudMumx2 posted last Saturday (DDay - 8th November) that she felt the teachers knew the results in advance:

"Just to pre-warn you, my DD's teacher was aware of the results before we knew, don't know if they were told, or posted, the day before or just earlier that morning.
But she did ask my DD, in a pointed way,"has your mum got your results?" My DD said, "I know I'm in, because of the way she said it!"

Being a bit of a cynic I'd sooner believe Proud Mumx2 than anything Shire Hall has to say.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi all, thanks for your confidence and believing in me!
The school did know my DD's results,certainly they knew on the day, as the next day the teacher admitted to my DD that she did know but couldn't tell her!

As for what time on that day they knew, I don't know, maybe in the post or by fax.

You could always keep your DC home if you wanted to control when the children find out.

If I had known how agonising it was going to be waiting for the post, then school to finish, then waiting for DH to arrive home, we would probably all had a day off ! (not that I could condone sciving in any way of course, as I work in a school!)
Quantum-Man

Post by Quantum-Man »

Hi all,
Glad the tests are now over!
Son came out happy, and I've tried hard not to press him too much, but he said he completed both tests. As luck would have it, he had a cold, [he took in some vapour rub!]
If I press him about schoolwork too much, he just clams up :roll:
I was regretting only starting practice tests after the open days, but up till then he had been content to know that he had a guaranteed place at St Peter's.
I went to Marling Grammar School in the 1970's, and was aware that St Peter's was a good school then, but having recently visited it, and seen it's scoreing not much above the likes of Maidenhill, coupled with it's increased sprawl on the side of Robinswood hill [my actual birthplace!] and it's over-large size; I was relieved that what lit my son's blue touch paper, of all things, was the swimming pool at Tommy's!
All we used for revision were the NFER papers, the free tutors examples, and the Pates examples. I hope he passes, but I will have to carry some of the blame for not 'guiding' him earlier. He's a good reader, reading well above his age and this may have helped him. Funnily enough his school report only put him as average... It turns out he put his first school reading book in his bag in September, and then 'opted' himself out of the reading scheme, and just read their library books! Why this wasn't picked up by the teacher...
One final thing:
A friend whose son passed to Tommy's last year, said that even though he had not applied to Pates, his score was such that he was contacted by the school. Isn't that a little naughty? I guess not many parents are actually going to complain about being approached by that school, but be somewhat proud I suppose.
Ramble off!
Good luck everyone.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Quantum-Man wrote:A friend whose son passed to Tommy's last year, said that even though he had not applied to Pates, his score was such that he was contacted by the school. Isn't that a little naughty? I guess not many parents are actually going to complain about being approached by that school, but be somewhat proud I suppose.

This is not surprising at all, it is well known that the headmaster of Pates telephones to try and persuade the "highest scorers" to choose his school - even those that have rejected a place there! Annoying for those on the waiting list I am sure!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!