How did you get on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

silverflora

Post by silverflora »

LML69 wrote
"I am already plotting to ambush the postman when he pulls into our village (I know his route) reckon if I stand in the road and flag him down he may feel pity for me "

I'm one ahead of you here! I have pleaded with postie on bended knee to make me his first delivery of the day ( rather than LAST !) and he has promised me he will.

Lets just hope its good news he's bringing us - or I'll wish I hadn't bothered...
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Glos_Mum wrote:I also agree with the comments about less savvy parents.
I've come across one or two at appeals - one had done no preparation for the exam with their son - not even the one page test that went out with the exam details letter, and didn't even bring or send any paperwork or examples of work to the appeal. And before anyone jumps in and says "they all say that", I checked after the appeal was over with a friend who knew the child, and was told that it certainly was true. We did allow the appeal, but we had to ask a lot of questions to get the information out of her, the child had passed the test and there was space in the school. But no thanks to the mum.
Capers
Quantum-Man

Post by Quantum-Man »

LML69 wrote:Hi Quantum-Man, thanks for the advice, I was talking about Denmark Road High School for Girls but I guess the answer is the same.
With regards to my previous posts, it seems I am offending some people, that was truly not my intention :oops: All I meant was I personally know some of the children who were sat for the exam and know that their self esteem will take a big knock if they do not get in, some of the parents involved are extremely pushy. We all like to think our childen are clever, I don't understand why Gloucestershire doesn't follow in Warks footsteps, all children sit the 11+ up there, surely that would be fairer, everyone sits so there would be no 'ribbing' after, if you failed to get in or be called a 'swot' if indeed you were successful, as the children would have no choice in the matter as to whether they would want to sit the test or not. Thats all I was trying to say, I wasn't preaching about who should/shouldn't sit. I totally agree, anyone can sit the exam, I just think some parents get a bit carried away with it all, I certainly know some. My DD is very bright, she is top of her class but I still don't know if she is good enough to get in, we are fortunate to be in a win win situation as her local comprehensive is one of the best in Gloucestershire, so if she fails to hit any mark then I am more than happy for her to attend her sisters school. One last thing Mr. Quantum of Solace, my DD doesn't need the dumbo's to shunt her up any curve of the damn bell, she'll get there on her own thanks :wink: Now enough of this backbiting, can we please get on with suporting each other as that's what I thought this forum was all about.
I think the whole entrance criteria is a case of supply and demand, which is why some places are harder than others to get in. Maybe Pates' high entrance result requirement is not the most efficient, as it may have in the past put some off applying, lest they failed. Certainly that has previously been shown to be the case, as they felt they needed to headhunt. Maybe the new rules this year will put an end to that, as it now makes sense to put the hardest to get in on top of the list.

Giving everyone the test is a good idea, but would do nothing, or at least little to stop the resentments and disappointments between children, parents, and combinations thereof. I can't see how less able children, who are not expected to pass would be as devastated as a child such as yours that has the pressure of everyone expecting her to pass as a matter of course, and then lets everyone down by not living up to expectation.

You are indeed fortunate to have a comprehensive locally you feel relatively relaxed about. Our local is an abomination, but fortunately because I allowed/[willingly agreed] my children were to be brought up as catholics, even though I am not; we have the assured place of St Peters. IMO, now too big at 1500+ pupils.
If something goes wrong with that plan; then home study would be considered.

Today,[yesterday] yet another parent confirmed that their 'top set' child was not entered into the 'race'. Reasons being:
1) Keep her with her friends.
2) Convenience of transporting two children to the same school.

I emphasized to my son that he doesn't need to lose his existing friends, and by going to a different school has every chance of meeting additional 'good' friends. I was quite taken aback when he agreed! WRT 1) above; I can't see why there needed to be a pact of failure... Often friends have similar abilities, so they should have worked together to all pass instead!

A point worth considering is that if 'artificially' tutored children get in to grammar schools, and many deserving children do not, but naturally will still do well at any school they go to, won't that distort the schools results and somewhat homogenize to the joy of the government?

Finally, I agree that the main purpose of this site is probably to support parents, however, your posting didn't seem to convey that mantra. If it was not your intent to tread on the apparently less able, then I accept that and I appologise for misreading.
I hope your daughter does pass. You obviously care, and so many parents just don't seem to. :(
dd_ds

Post by dd_ds »

Not even another child in the room sniffling and putting my DD off.
Come on, how short an attention span does the DD have?!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

dd_ds wrote:
Not even another child in the room sniffling and putting my DD off.
Come on, how short an attention span does the DD have?!
Pretty average attention - good when needed.

The comment comes from having heard too many appeals in the past, where one of the (or even the only) 'extenuating circumstances' for the appeal is that - say - a child 4 seats away was tapping a pencil on the desk, or another child got up twice to go to the loo, or another child in the room had a cough.

Whilst any of these could cause a child to drop a mark, it would probably have also affected all the other children in the room, thus dropping the average mark. It certainly wouldn't account for a child being 10 points below the pass mark.

However, being the eternal pessimist, I did check with DD just in case we need to appeal (game-keeper turned poacher) :roll:
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now