The Twilight Zone

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mcs

Post by mcs »

Confused.com wrote:
Hopefully this means that as long as we put Tommie's as our first preference, wherever DS comes in the ranking of scores, he will be offered a place. And any of your DD's out there will have the same result for Denmark?
I hope we don't have to put Tommys as our first choice in order to be offered a place!

As I understand it schools are no longer allowed to disregard applications that don't put them as their first preference.

I don't know yet, but we might be appealing in March, which means we need to keep our first preference on our application. We can't do that if it's going to scupper my son's chance of getting into Tommys.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

mcs wrote:I hope we don't have to put Tommys as our first choice in order to be offered a place!

As I understand it schools are no longer allowed to disregard applications that don't put them as their first preference.

I don't know yet, but we might be appealing in March, which means we need to keep our first preference on our application. We can't do that if it's going to scupper my son's chance of getting into Tommys.
No, you must put the schools in order of your preference for them. Shire Hall allocate in that order, so if you put a school first, and qualify for it (and there are places), that is what you'll be given.

The legislation refers to schools (St. Peters used to do this) that said "You must put us as first otherwise you will not be offered a place" - so If you'd put a grammar first and St Peters 2nd then didn't qualify for the grammar, St Peters would not offer you a place as you didn't put them first.

Now, if you want Pates, put that 1st and Tommies second. If you don't qualify for Pates, Tommies automatically moves up to become your first choice, so assuming you qualify, you'll get it.

Then you can accept Tommies (so you definitely have a place), and at the same time, launch an appeal for Pates. If you win the appeal, then you can back out of the Tommies place (and another child lower down the list will get in). Kind of like a huge game of Musical School Chairs, but instead of a chair being removed each round, extra chairs are put in at appeal, and some of the players drop out (they've got bursaries for private school).
Capers
blessed mum

Re: The Twilight Zone

Post by blessed mum »

DS is position 139 for pates.has any one an idea how much chances we have to get into pates.i dont want to give high hopes.iam new in the forum
dr.watson

Re: The Twilight Zone

Post by dr.watson »

blessed mum wrote:DS is position 139 for pates.has any one an idea how much chances we have to get into pates.i dont want to give high hopes.iam new in the forum
I have already replied to your other post.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now