fobbing me off or what??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

Post by capers123 »

shaann wrote:Could they not all just tell us with workings out so we can see for ourselves.It would be alot easier and they are OUR scores!
Actually, they are your childs scores!

They say that it is for pastoral reasons. Children being what they are (and parents in the playground as well) compare the scores. "Oh - you've got a ranking of ...? That's the bottom ranking of the WHOLE SCHOOL - you're thick".

And whilst we all know that performance in the 11+ just gives an indication of suitability for grammar stream education rather than how the child will perform, that kind of comment could be the cause of bullying. My niece found the same true in Kent - although there they release all the scores & rankings, and she'd got the top for that year of grammar. She had parents phoning her mum saying that she was lying about her score being so high, and was called Swat & Geek in the playground. Yes, bullying happens at Grammars as well as comps (and private schools).

So maybe the information shouldn't be made public in general. There is a case for releasing it on request, but then you do need to know a lot more than just the score / ranking.
Capers
PMJ

Post by PMJ »

capers123 wrote:
The bottom Stroud Pass was 216. My daughter scored 227 and is ranked 126 (for 120 places). There are at least 180 who passed for Stroud High, and the cut-odd ranking will be between 150 and 160 (going on past years) - I'd say that a score of 220 would be somewhere around 160.
Could you give us more information on the 'going on past years' with respect to Stroud High, as this seems to be the answer to my question in the starter of another thread.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PMJ wrote:
capers123 wrote:
The bottom Stroud Pass was 216. My daughter scored 227 and is ranked 126 (for 120 places). There are at least 180 who passed for Stroud High, and the cut-odd ranking will be between 150 and 160 (going on past years) - I'd say that a score of 220 would be somewhere around 160.
Could you give us more information on the 'going on past years' with respect to Stroud High, as this seems to be the answer to my question in the starter of another thread.
I'm told that last year it got down to rank No. 161. Not sure if that's before or after appeals.
Capers
PMJ

Post by PMJ »

capers123 wrote:
I'm told that last year it got down to rank No. 161. Not sure if that's before or after appeals.
Thanks mate.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

PMJ wrote:Thanks mate.
That's awlrite, darlin' :twisted:
Capers
shaann

Post by shaann »

Thanks all for your views.

I think she did get over 210 for Denmark but there was just too many ahead.Which is fine and which I can easily accept...you know if they say yes she made the required score but sorry a place would be unlikely due to the large number of higher scorers,I would be fine with that.To say she she didn`t pass when I think she did is a bit naughty.

Unlike the lovely Stroud who gave me all of the above info.Thanks Stroud!!!!Love you for your honesty :wink:

Should get a place at Ribston,once the Denmark,Stroud and Pates peeps have moved out of the equation.

And to Capers I know a few Denmark girls moving off your Stroud 120 list so you will get it I`m sure.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

shaann wrote:And to Capers I know a few Denmark girls moving off your Stroud 120 list so you will get it I`m sure.
Just as well I'm female then. Otherwise going to a girls school would be quite odd.
Capers
greent

Post by greent »

capers123 wrote:
shaann wrote:209 pates 220 stroud.

It could be that Ribston set a higher pass mark so that there are less girls who have passed yet don't get a place (which would be very frustrating & upsetting - I remember that from some of DD's friends last year, and I fear one this year).

quote]

My daughter got a score from Pates of 218 - and a pass letter from Denmark, Ribston & Stroud High. Stroud said she was in their top 120 - which goes to show that the standardistaion leads to different scores in diff schools, as she'd have only achieved a pass by 2 marks in Stroud otherwise - and therefore unlikely to be in their top 120.

Argh! We still haven't decided the order - must do so today!
MarkyBoy1972

Post by MarkyBoy1972 »

Welcome Greent.

As you say the standardisation does mean different scores for different schools. Whilst we are not looking at Stroud High (due to distance) my DD got 220 for Pates and also a pass for Denmark and Ribston. Sadly, we have no idea of what that equates to for positioning at either Denmark or Ribston due to the selection/preference process.

As you say, need to get your preference form submitted ... deadline 4pm Friday, 5th December from what I recall...

Good luck.
capers

Post by capers »

greent wrote: My daughter got a score from Pates of 218 - and a pass letter from Denmark, Ribston & Stroud High. Stroud said she was in their top 120 - which goes to show that the standardistaion leads to different scores in diff schools, as she'd have only achieved a pass by 2 marks in Stroud otherwise - and therefore unlikely to be in their top 120.
218 at Pates is not the same score as 218 at Stroud High. They are standardised differently.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now