New (and old) Tommy Rich's parents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

Good luck to your lads tomorrow!
Remember, it WILL be overwhelming at first - with boys coming from around 60 primary schools. They WILL be knackered. It's a tough learning curve. Keep up with homework. DON'T FORGET TO HAND IN HOMEWORK.
Enjoy!!!
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Just to say GOOD LUCK to all your boys for tomorrow-cant believe it was us in this situation last year!!!
I can only agree with what Milla said-there are bound to be teething "issues",lots of questions and tired minds and bodies-but they will soon forget all about them and start enjoying their new surroundings(but not so much the homework,thats a different story.... :wink: )
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Thanks for that both of you and goodluck to all others.

DS1 is very excited about going and possibly still awake as I can here him moving about so will undoubtably be a right grumpy by Friday.

Thought we were doing rather well until DH noticed which form I had written on his shirt label. We now think it is the wrong one :? . They don't make it easy at Tommies with the houses not linking to the form grrrrh. Thankfully had not got hold of a perminant marker pen so have only written it on the clothes he wears tomorrow.

Thank goodness I didn't go down the full on label sewing route :lol: .
Milla

Post by Milla »

no, it's tricky having to remember a housename, a colour and a form name. I've ditched the housename and settle on the colour and form name. My one gripe continues to be that they don't mix the boys up each year. They could stay attached to the house they were in in their first year but get mixed up and I don't understand why they don't.
Anyway, they'll have finished break now, the poor chickens, and be back at work. Or wandering, dazed, in a corridor :shock:
Milla

Post by Milla »

C'mon then, how did it go?
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Milla wrote:C'mon then, how did it go?
Well said Milla! I keep popping on to see whether anybody has put on an update :lol: :lol:

As a year 8 mother, it was a very much easier day for me this year...DS reluctantly trotted off to school and came home disgruntled at the 3 subjects of homework set .... they only had 4 lessons today :lol: :lol:

When I asked how his day went, he was most amused to announce they had drawn "hairy balls" in Art :shock: :shock:

He did receive a merit so must have done something right!

Have just now finished typing up and laminating a pocket sized timetable - the things mothers do!! :roll: :roll:
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ds loved it :D .

About half his class have sandwiches, lunches not an option with four of them. I do let them have a dinner once a week which will now have to be Mon instead of Fri as I have no desire to be making bread and packing lunch boxes on a Sun evening. Doing it in the morning no longer an option with this new v.v.early start.

Little confusion with when and which bus to get on way home but had his friend with him. With same friend for all lessons which is good but has already made other friends, perish the thought that he should know their names :lol: . Mind tendancy to forget names myself :oops: .

Bottom half of class so does get mixed for some subjects.

Do they mix for P.E Milla? Rugby today (DH told him to take towel and extra boxers :shock: he played rugby so assume he knows what he is talking about, Glos-mum and thankyou thankyou so much for that info on where to get kit, the chap who served me yesterday was a star, even went and got the rugby boots for me, what do I know about rugby boots).

Have sent mine off with his forms filled, even the mixed up residential trip one, and locker money today. In past have tended to leave these things and then forget. Need to be more organised now I feel.
Milla

Post by Milla »

they mix with one other class for rugby - and this year (shock horror), y8, they have mixed DS1's class with a different one from the year before so he is finally in a class with his best friend. PE is done just in their group, the "subject" rotating. He was not best pleased to find his PE lesson dropped yesterday in favour of assembly! And then straight into something mouldy like geography. I did feel sorry for him.
My DS never wants school lunch - I had assumed he would. The tyranny of the lunchbox is a bit of a bore, partic as he wants SO MUCH MORE than before, but at least I only do it for two, not four.
It took about a month to get our locker key which was really annoying. Hope it's better for you lot.
Glad it's going well so far. Nice to have a very short week to break them in!
PS they got the dates mixed up on our residential trip, too!
ziggy13

Post by ziggy13 »

Well it was all worth the worry last year when I asked my DS 'How was it?, when I collected him on Thu and his answer was "FANTASTIC!"He loved having to use a map to find his way around, the pizza slice at break time and getting told off for playing full-contact rugby with Y8s at lunchtime (!!!) He even said the lessons were 'cool'. He has come home tonight with a tiny bit of German homework and thats it. I said to enjoy it cos it will all change next week. He has informed me he is going to Rugby on Tue lunchtimes and after school Thu and he can't wait to start cooking next week (glad he is positive about something useful!) I think I shall be visiting the second-hand shop for another Rugby shirt! He has also made two new friends. I do hope everyone else's DS had a good first week and long may it last!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now