Comparative IQ scores to 11+ result

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kendogirl

Comparative IQ scores to 11+ result

Post by Kendogirl »

Hi My son scored two points below the threshold for Crypt grammar and now we are considering appealing to try and obtain a place for him. He recently did a supervised IQ test and came out with a score of 140 which puts him in the top 3% of the population. I wondered if this was worth mentioning in the appeals literature? Does it approximate to a pass at 11+ and thus will help our argument that he suffered from nerves and had a bad day for the test or is it lower!! Any thoughts much appreciated, Kendogirl.
Louise
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi Kendogirl

I just wanted to encourage you with your appeal for Crypt. If last year is anything to go by, several boys, many of whom scored below the threshold, managed to secure a place on appeal.

Also, I am not sure whether you need to let the school know, but ensure you are put onto their waiting list as there will be movement in the next few weeks anyway.

It sounds as though your DS would be well suited to the school so the very best of luck with your appeal - please visit the Appeals Section for further help and advice, they are very good in there!

Best wishes
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Milla

Post by Milla »

ditto happened with DR with girls - lots from our school were approched and invited to appeal. quite a few did and all but one got in, despite technically "failing" the paper (I think it was a case, it being different then) of passing in terms of numbers but not in one of the papers. Anyway, lots of movement still, so don't despair.
Kendogirl

Thanks

Post by Kendogirl »

Hi thanks for the replies. Apparently 86 offers have gone out so there are still places available. Plus his teacher said she was very supportive of an appeal as she believes it will be the best school for him. Will post further queries on the Appeals section as they will be really in connection with that, thanks again! Kendogirl
Louise
Milla

Post by Milla »

this is interesting, so they don't send sufficient offers to fill the school, but fewer to allow for future movement?? If there are people who have passed but not got in, how does this work? :?:
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Milla wrote:this is interesting, so they don't send sufficient offers to fill the school, but fewer to allow for future movement?? If there are people who have passed but not got in, how does this work? :?:
Strange. I would have thought that they should offer all the places up to their PAN to any children who have proved suitable by passing.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

not sure what PAN means, but I too was surprised to read from the earlier post that fewer places had been offered than existed in principle. Odd.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Milla wrote:not sure what PAN means

Published Admissions Number. The standard intake of a school.

Stroud High has a PAN of 120, therefore the LEA allocate the top ranking 120 from the pass list who have put Stroud High as their first choice.

Now it could be that it's possible to fit 32 children in each class room, and this can be checked by looking at the school roll for previous years. So Stroud Highs appeal panel will have been given evidence from the parents that in previous years, the school has had up to 128 pupils. The parents may also ask the school side if they have been able to cope with the extra 8 pupils, and if the answer is yes, then the panel may well feel that they could allow up to 8 pupils over PAN without prejudicing the other pupils.
Capers
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

and if the answer is yes
My experience of other schools is that the presenting officer is not going to give an unqualified "Yes" unless they're happy to lose the case (or see appeals upheld). :)

If they really want to resist further admissions, the usual formula is along the lines "We've coped as best we can with a difficult situation, but would have performed even better without the extra numbers ..."
Etienne
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I think this is what happens every year with Crypt.There are usually not enough boys who pass and who request a place,some will have passed for the school but will have put STR or Pates as their first choice school.Last year they wrote to parents whose sons scores were 1 or 2 marks below the pass mark and asked them if they wanted a place so there is hope for you in this situation!

GM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now