Factual information relating to the Gloucestershire 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Information for Sir Thomas Rich school can be found here-

http://www.strschool.co.uk/misc/admissions3.htm
happychap

Denmark Road Open Evening

Post by happychap »

Just had this email from Denmark Road:

Our new calendar hasn't been uploaded yet. The Open Evening will be on Tuesday 28th September. Please keep looking at our website for up to date information.

Thanks.
gloucestermum

Re: Factual information relating to the Gloucestershire 11+

Post by gloucestermum »

The 2011 entry booklet is available here-

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/utili ... iaid=32542

GM
happychap

Post by happychap »

Thank you for adding a link to the entry booklet. At 88 pages long, I think I will only print off the relevant pages to read. Good night time reading?
happychap

Post by happychap »

Aha! I apologise profusely for causing a panic.

I can see what you mean now about the entry into the year.

I just looked down the page until I saw Year 7 entry and read about the NVR Paper.

Thanks for your help folks!
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Pates actual intakes at start of term:

2010/11 122
2009/10 122
2008/09 123
2007/08 121
2006/07 121

Note that it is possible that children could leave after the start of term, so the numbers may not reflect the year size.

Also note that the extra children over 120 will either be there because an admin error forces Pates to admit the child, or because of a successful appeal. There is no way of knowing which.
Capers
Milla

Post by Milla »

One boy came to tasted day but then his family left to live, allegedly, in America. Naughty? Or exercising a valid right to take a highly sought after place while setting in train what can hardly be casual arrangements to move to another. continent. Aware that this not a "sticky" type comment, but interesting wrt numbers.
BJOD

STRS Facts

Post by BJOD »

Highest score securing a place (on allocation day, OAD) = 261
Lowest Score securing a place (OAD) = 222
Cohort expressing interest/sharing results with STRS = 263

Highest score securing a place (OAD) = 277
Lowest Score securing a place (OAD) = 215
Cohort expressing interest/sharing results with STRS = 250

Cohort expressing interest/sharing results with STRS = 235

We're in the STRS twilight zone with DS2 (DS1 got into Pate's in 2009)

Updated: DS2 got STRS last year OAD with 220
Last edited by BJOD on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJOD

Post by BJOD »

Gloucestermum, can you please cut and paste my post from yesterday called STRS facts into this thread/sticky or whatever you call it - I missed this title late last night! Oops, sorry. :(

moved your post - see above
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

Information posted by Capers-
toffeeapple wrote:
That's interesting Capers, so are you saying that post allocation day last year and pre appeals the wait list got down into the 200's? I know that my DD's score of 226 would have comfortably got her a place on allocations day last year but as, with that score, she is much further down in the rankings this year I thought that are chances were minimal? If we know (which i think we do from this forum) that the offers could not have gone past 185 on allocation day last year as 186 got in on appeal is there really that much movement post allocation, I was under the impression that the movement was minimal with only 1 or 2 declining places to go to Indie?
There's three figures. Score, Rank and Waiting List position. The ones we're looking at at the moment are Score & Rank. The Waiting List is not drawn up until Allocations day.

The reason that a score that would have achieved (for example) a rank of 190 last year only gets a rank of 220 this year is because more parents have ticked all the schools on the grammar application form this year than last year. They can't take a place at all four schools come allocations day!

There are 120 girls for each of the three schools, plus 60 for Pates, who are going to get offered a place at each school. If those children all ticked all 4 schools, then number 420 on the SHS ranking would get a place! Of course, not all parents tick all the boxes, but a lot have this year - more than ever before. The schools can tell, because they ask that you take the test at the school likely to be your first choice, but then see all the scores coming forward for their school from the children sitting elsewhere.

Also can you tell me whether the school are able to offer from the wait list pre appeals? I am still a little bit confused about how it all works post allocation day.
Appeals and waiting lists are totally unconnected. Once the initial offers go out on March 1st, parents may decline the offer, or ask for reconsideration for another school - and if it's granted it frees up a place. This is then offered to the first person on the waiting list. Sometimes they wait until they can offer a batch of 10 spaces at the same time, but the later it gets, the more likely the places will be offered one by one.

Once the appeals are heard, the schools are likely to go over PAN - or over-full to put it another way. Then no more places are offered from the waiting list until numbers drop back down below PAN - which may never happen!

Quote:
I wish I had found this forum earlier as we were very naive going into this process (DD only looked around SHS in June and completely fell in love with it) and we only ticked the box for SHS, although, to be fair, I don't think we would consider any of the other grammers it was just that we love the vibe at SHS! We are very fortunate that we have a very good comp as a fall back.
Yep, there's some good comps round here. However, just because a school has a good reputation, does not mean it will suit your child. F'rinstance, one comp not far from my office is very highly thought of and was very oversubscribed last year. Yet we thought our children would not do well there - too calm & quiet for them, and couldn't see them fitting in. Yet some of their friends & relatives thrive there (and that has nothing to do with academic ability - again I know of 11+ passes who chose it instead of the grammars).

We're just so lucky in our part of Gloucestershire to have a real choice!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now