Northwood as Catchment for Herts and Bucks both

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BucksorHerts

Northwood as Catchment for Herts and Bucks both

Post by BucksorHerts »

We are looking at moving house and thinking of Northwood as a possible location and postcode HA6 3 that covers Ricky school, ST Clement Danes and has covered DR challoner girls and CHesham Grammar in the past two three years too.

My daughter will sit for her 11 plus next year in 2018.

Any helpful comments/suggestions re moving to Northwood to help with catchment ?

Cheers
Sally-Anne

Re: Northwood as Catchment for Herts and Bucks both

Post by Sally-Anne »

Chesham Grammar didn't even come close to allocating to Northwood this year, so it is very high risk. Challoners Girls is a possiblity, but by no means a certainty.

I don't check the allocations for the Herts schools very often, but I suspect if you Google Herts Secondary allocation profiles, you will find that neither Ricky nor SCD extend to Northwood either. In some years, SCD hasn't even allocated to all applicants in Chorleywood.

There are a number of very good comps in Northwood though, so I suggest you take a look at those alongside these high risk options.
Snotsure

Post by Snotsure »

Thanks Sally Anne! I get your point, but have seen Northwood/Pinner children travelling to these schools - maybe that was just luck based on some years second/third allocations?

We are open to where we could move as we have time - think Chesham/Amersham maybe a better chance in that case- comprehensives are good too there as option B.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Snotsure wrote:Thanks Sally Anne! I get your point, but have seen Northwood/Pinner children travelling to these schools - maybe that was just luck based on some years second/third allocations?
For some years, CGS was a safe bet from Northwood, but not any more. It is increasingly popular, and allocations didn't even cross the M25 this year.

DCHS has only extended out to Northwood since they added an extra class. It would still be touch and go.

Both schools would be fine if you lived within catchment.
We are open to where we could move as we have time - think Chesham/Amersham maybe a better chance in that case- comprehensives are good too there as option B.
We don't have comprehensive schools in Bucks; they are called Upper Schools, and can be a very mixed bag. The grammars cream off the top 30% of Bucks pupils, and the rest go to Upper Schools, so they are very different from all-ability comprehensive schools.
Snotsure

Post by Snotsure »

Just to clarify - mixed bag because of the number of Grammars in Bucks? Technically they'd be same won't they- upper or comprehensives ?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - there are no 'all ability' schools in Bucks as it is fully-selective.
Highcrest has tried to badge itself as 'all ability' and has a fair banding entry test. Few parents would opt for this over a GS though.
Snotsure

Post by Snotsure »

Can someone explain if Dr Challoners allocation profile says OA 9.7 miles for 2017, does that mean they've offered place for outer catchments upto 9 miles? This can go as far as Pinner, Northwood etc? Is this correct? Sorry if it's a silly one - just don't understand IA and OA allocations as last few years many Bucks schools have offered several miles OA.

:roll:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Snotsure wrote:Can someone explain if Dr Challoners allocation profile says OA 9.7 miles for 2017, does that mean they've offered place for outer catchments upto 9 miles? This can go as far as Pinner, Northwood etc? Is this correct? Sorry if it's a silly one - just don't understand IA and OA allocations as last few years many Bucks schools have offered several miles OA.

:roll:
I think IA is in area & OA is out of area. It will be 9.7 miles from the school (straight line), but out of catchment - in other words it's not 9.7 miles beyond the edge of the catchment, but 9.7 in total (I think - someone else will correct me if I am wrong). The terminology isn't terribly helpful.
ETA - it was actually 9.0, not 9.7.
Last edited by scary mum on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
Snotsure

Post by Snotsure »

I think you're right. 9.7 miles definitely from school but extends into outer area i.e. In some cases/years extending upto Northwood/Pinner areas.