Music Stage 1

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Otter

Re: Music Stage 1

Post by Otter »

A couple of years ago I only entered my DS for the main academic test not the music one, but many parents apply for both. There are no odds on getting a better chance in either however there are more places for the academic test (25% of places) than those qualifying by the music test (10% of places), if your child is strong in maths and verbal reasoning then it would be wise to apply for the academic test, whether your child also takes the music test is entirely up to you.
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

ok, its because I am not in the inner admission area but the rest and so it got me thinking I should apply for both.

I am also in a position to move so I can consider a few areas to apply for but really need a steer on what is doable.

So considering, Bucks, Slough Consortium and the Herts South West. Just checking on two schools, they list my postcode in their criteria but obviously its not the immediate catchment area.

Is it better when its just open as opposed to working off a catchment area? this will help me to decided which schools to shortlist.
Sunshine08

Post by Sunshine08 »

It sounds like the academic test would make sense, but do bear in mind if you are looking at different consortiums their test requirements will be different. I would say if your child already plays an instrument and you are keen on any of the SWH schools it may well be worth applying for music but maybe just consider if this may put extra pressure on your child.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Apply for both.

SW Herts is Maths and English CEM, not Verbal Reasoning.

It is the same paper as DAO. Look in the CEM section for further info. DG
Scorch

Post by Scorch »

I believe the Maths is GL assessment, but standard format, where the answer has to be written as opposed to multiple choice.

CEM: Strong English, comprehension, vocabulary and spelling are required. CEM verbal reasoning is very different to GL and success is dependent on children having a much more wide-ranging vocabulary - that is a quote from the CEM website..
Verbal Reasoning includes: Comprehension, Cloze Text, Spelling and Punctuation, Shuffled Sentences, plus vocabulary question types such as Synonyms, Antonyms and Odd One Out.

Where can I got an example of a full CEM verbal reasoning paper or any practice papers close to it, so I can get an idea of the type of content. I have a good idea of GL since they publish familiarization papers.

Where can I get more info on the music test, my sons teacher would like more info on the format etc so she can prepare appropriately.

Thanks
Sunnyrosegarden

Post by Sunnyrosegarden »

If you Google examples of the Bentley Test, I think that it gives a good idea of previous formats. The texture questions are the hardest, but the children I know who did well had a naturally good ear for texture.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now