Go to navigation
It is currently Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:58 am
Posts: 2
My DC achieved 209 which was well below what we expected based on practise papers.
Our first choice is Parmiter’s but am I living in dream world to still hope she may get in at some point next year? We are not the nearest of the Priority Postcodes either ….


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:23 am
Posts: 2
Well done to all the children no matter what they got.

However could I ask if anyone sitting at Ricky School got a weirdly low score?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:14 pm
Posts: 20
fahimq wrote:
My DS got 218 which is very surprising as he scored 251 in QE and according to him SWHerts test was lot easier. Also, he is lot stronger in VR than in English. Anybody else experienced this where there is such a huge difference in scores?

at least you have QE as backup plan then :)

Same thing happened to my boy who scored 259 in this one and 273 in QE, he also said SWHerts test was easy, which could be the problem, when test is easy they can be too relaxed and make some silly mistakes, also based my experiences of dealing with my son's study, you can easily make more mistakes on VR than English.

Anyway you can fire a score review to be sure there isn't any mistakes happened in GL system, which I really doubt it as GL marking system is designed in a way to minimise the errors.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm
Posts: 10729
Location: Herts
When DC think a paper is easy then they start to rush and make careless mistakes.

This is what happened with the QE boys maths paper last year. Look at all the posts from parents who thought their students would score very highly and they did not. DG

Edited by moderator


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:52 pm
Posts: 15
My feedback from my DS and his friends are that this year's exam is "easy". This is actually not a good news because, IMO, it actually makes scoring difficult. It is due to the standardisation process. The following is my thoughts and maybe inaccurate.

An "easy" test implies that a lot of students can get good raw score, resulting in a high averaged raw score over the cohort. Because of this high averaged raw score, the standard deviation of the raw score will tends to be smaller, i.e. most students will fall into a narrower band of raw scores. One problem is that every silly mistake will cost more dearly than in a "hard" exam, because a lot of students get similarly (high) raw scores. Another problem is that because the averaged raw score is high, i.e. closer to 100% raw score, this gives less "upside room", making a high standardised score difficult, but a lot of "downside room" due to careless mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:01 pm
Posts: 10729
Location: Herts
Indeed.

This is why parents are puzzled that their students have higher scores at other exams that they found harder. DG


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 pm
Posts: 40
highwaymum wrote:
My DC achieved 209 which was well below what we expected based on practise papers.
Our first choice is Parmiter’s but am I living in dream world to still hope she may get in at some point next year? We are not the nearest of the Priority Postcodes either ….


Rather late to the response here, but don't give up home on Parmiter's. My DS got 210 2 years ago and got an offer from Parmiter's in early July. The offers were down to 208/209 by the start of term. You are borderline but there is hope. Only the last two years are relevant as the VR average score dropped right down when they changed provider.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:34 pm
Posts: 5
Hey @spanner
If you happen to see this, don't suppose you can remember what your original wait list position was on allocation day with 210 do you?
Thanks :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:34 pm
Posts: 5
LaurCava47 wrote:
Hey @spanner
If you happen to see this, don't suppose you can remember what your original wait list position was on allocation day with 210 do you?
Thanks :)
spanner wrote:
highwaymum wrote:
My DC achieved 209 which was well below what we expected based on practise papers.
Our first choice is Parmiter’s but am I living in dream world to still hope she may get in at some point next year? We are not the nearest of the Priority Postcodes either ….


Rather late to the response here, but don't give up home on Parmiter's. My DS got 210 2 years ago and got an offer from Parmiter's in early July. The offers were down to 208/209 by the start of term. You are borderline but there is hope. Only the last two years are relevant as the VR average score dropped right down when they changed provider.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: SW Herts results
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:37 pm
Posts: 40
LaurCava47 wrote:
Hey @spanner
If you happen to see this, don't suppose you can remember what your original wait list position was on allocation day with 210 do you?
Thanks :)

We were 13th on offers day and moved up to 3rd after round 1


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2022