SW Herts results

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
highwaymum

Re: SW Herts results

Post by highwaymum »

My DC achieved 209 which was well below what we expected based on practise papers.
Our first choice is Parmiter’s but am I living in dream world to still hope she may get in at some point next year? We are not the nearest of the Priority Postcodes either ….
cfsed

Post by cfsed »

Well done to all the children no matter what they got.

However could I ask if anyone sitting at Ricky School got a weirdly low score?
liang65

Post by liang65 »

fahimq wrote:My DS got 218 which is very surprising as he scored 251 in QE and according to him SWHerts test was lot easier. Also, he is lot stronger in VR than in English. Anybody else experienced this where there is such a huge difference in scores?
at least you have QE as backup plan then :)

Same thing happened to my boy who scored 259 in this one and 273 in QE, he also said SWHerts test was easy, which could be the problem, when test is easy they can be too relaxed and make some silly mistakes, also based my experiences of dealing with my son's study, you can easily make more mistakes on VR than English.

Anyway you can fire a score review to be sure there isn't any mistakes happened in GL system, which I really doubt it as GL marking system is designed in a way to minimise the errors.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

When DC think a paper is easy then they start to rush and make careless mistakes.

This is what happened with the QE boys maths paper last year. Look at all the posts from parents who thought their students would score very highly and they did not. DG

Edited by moderator
bull_r

Post by bull_r »

My feedback from my DS and his friends are that this year's exam is "easy". This is actually not a good news because, IMO, it actually makes scoring difficult. It is due to the standardisation process. The following is my thoughts and maybe inaccurate.

An "easy" test implies that a lot of students can get good raw score, resulting in a high averaged raw score over the cohort. Because of this high averaged raw score, the standard deviation of the raw score will tends to be smaller, i.e. most students will fall into a narrower band of raw scores. One problem is that every silly mistake will cost more dearly than in a "hard" exam, because a lot of students get similarly (high) raw scores. Another problem is that because the averaged raw score is high, i.e. closer to 100% raw score, this gives less "upside room", making a high standardised score difficult, but a lot of "downside room" due to careless mistake.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed.

This is why parents are puzzled that their students have higher scores at other exams that they found harder. DG
spanner

Post by spanner »

highwaymum wrote:My DC achieved 209 which was well below what we expected based on practise papers.
Our first choice is Parmiter’s but am I living in dream world to still hope she may get in at some point next year? We are not the nearest of the Priority Postcodes either ….
Rather late to the response here, but don't give up home on Parmiter's. My DS got 210 2 years ago and got an offer from Parmiter's in early July. The offers were down to 208/209 by the start of term. You are borderline but there is hope. Only the last two years are relevant as the VR average score dropped right down when they changed provider.
LaurCava47

Post by LaurCava47 »

Hey @spanner
If you happen to see this, don't suppose you can remember what your original wait list position was on allocation day with 210 do you?
LaurCava47

Post by LaurCava47 »

LaurCava47 wrote:Hey @spanner
If you happen to see this, don't suppose you can remember what your original wait list position was on allocation day with 210 do you?
spanner wrote:
highwaymum wrote:My DC achieved 209 which was well below what we expected based on practise papers.
Rather late to the response here, but don't give up home on Parmiter's. My DS got 210 2 years ago and got an offer from Parmiter's in early July. The offers were down to 208/209 by the start of term. You are borderline but there is hope. Only the last two years are relevant as the VR average score dropped right down when they changed provider.
spanner

Post by spanner »

LaurCava47 wrote:Hey @spanner
We were 13th on offers day and moved up to 3rd after round 1
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now