November 2009 verbal reasoning in Herts

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

November 2009 verbal reasoning in Herts

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Hi everyone

Please can someone, with experience, help answer my question. I would really value people's comments, input and experiences on this one please!

My child is due to sit the forthcoming Verbal Reasoning Exam.

For your information, we live in the Hertfordshire area.

Despite doing searches on the net, and asking other parents, I am still unsure whether the children can use "scrap" paper to do their workings out, or not.

Knowing my child, I feel that scrap paper would really benefit, but I need to know if this is allowed or not.

Also, if scrap paper is not allowed, can the children write their workings out on the multiple choice answer sheet or not, or would this cause problems, or could this possibly disqualify their paper?

I would be grateful for any input please, as my mind is a bit pickled from the whole Secondary Transfer procedure, along with the forthcoming verbal reasoning exam, not to mention the forthcoming maths exam too !

There seems to be a distinct lack of general information available, and it is amazing how many parents seem to "clam up" when the subject is discussed !

Many thanks for reading
Knowledge is power

WP

Post by WP »

Welcome to the forum. My recollection from 3 years ago is that you could do working on the question paper, but I don't think you could take in extra paper. But ask any one of the schools: they should be able to clarify this.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

last year you were unable to take any paper in with you.
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

WP wrote:Welcome to the forum. My recollection from 3 years ago is that you could do working on the question paper, but I don't think you could take in extra paper. But ask any one of the schools: they should be able to clarify this.

Hi WP

Thanks for replying to my post ... it is appreciated.

Also thanks for the advice ... I will contact some schools tomorrow.

Hopefully they will be able to help.

Thanks again :D
Knowledge is power

AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

I can concur with watfordmum66 and the children weren't allowed to take scrap paper into the exam but my son was able to take in an eraser just in case his workings out got a bit messy and obscured his REAL answer. :D

In your original post you asked if the children could write their workings on the multiple-choice sheet... I do hope this was just a slip of the fingers and you meant answer sheet as the Verbal Reasoning and Maths papers in the SW consortium schools are not multiple choice (or at least they haven't been for the past few years).

Good luck with the forthcoming tests.
Alison
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

AlisonR wrote:I can concur with watfordmum66 and the children weren't allowed to take scrap paper into the exam but my son was able to take in an eraser just in case his workings out got a bit messy and obscured his REAL answer. :D

In your original post you asked if the children could write their workings on the multiple-choice sheet... I do hope this was just a slip of the fingers and you meant answer sheet as the Verbal Reasoning and Maths papers in the SW consortium schools are not multiple choice (or at least they haven't been for the past few years).

Good luck with the forthcoming tests.
Alison

Hi Alison

Thanks for replying to my post and letting me know information from your experiences.

Oh dear ... now I have more to ponder about !!! ...

No, it was not a slip of my fingers: I did mean "on the multiple choice paper", as this is what I have been led to believe, ie. the children choose the correct answer from a multiple choice sheet.

Now I have read your post, ie. the Verbal Reasoning and Maths papers in the SW consortium schools are not multiple choice (or at least they haven't been for the past few years) it has made me more confused (lol ... doesn't take a lot does it? ... lol).

For your information, I am based in the Watford area (if this makes any difference).
Knowledge is power

greenteadrinker

Post by greenteadrinker »

Good luck to your child sitting the test.

The children are expected to do their workings out on the paper provided...back of question sheet?? I do not think paper is provided for this in the exam room, or wasnt last year!

The answers are standardised (at least i think thats the terminology!!) ie not multiple choice, and the children are expected to generate their own answers.

This is the same for all children, no matter where you live!!!

Rickmansworth school administator the test so it may be worth giving them a ring!

Hope That Helps

GTD
Always look on the bright side of life
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

greenteadrinker wrote:The answers are standardised (at least i think thats the terminology!!) ie not multiple choice, and the children are expected to generate their own answers.
Just to clarify this:

"Standardised" refers to the process of levelling out the children's ages.

"Standard" is the alternative format of paper to Multiple Choice - the children must find the answers for themselves, rather than having 5 pre-printed answers to choose from.

HTH
Sally-Anne
Ally

Post by Ally »

In previous years could you just take in an eraser or do they need their own pencil/pen etc ?
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

I think that you had to take your own pencils / ruler can not remember if eraser was allowed. I think it tells you on the letter what you are allowed to take in with you.