Consultation on 2011/12 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

resmum

Post by resmum »

I think its unfair to categorise all renters as cheaters in the schools admissions process.

Selling a house is a difficult and arduous process in the current market and even once a sale has been agreed everything can fall through at the last moment. Finding a property to buy can be difficult too when you are moving into an unfamiliar area. Given that mistakes can be very expensive in terms of wasted stamp duty and survey fees, let alone the emotional cost of moving home, its not surprising that some families decide to rent while they are applying for schools.

Perhaps the rules ought to be that they must reside within the catchment area (possibly at more than one address given the problems in obtaining longer term tenancies) for a minimum period of say 2 years once the child is accepted at the school. And if the family at any time return to live at their previous address the school place must be given up.
kentonmum

Post by kentonmum »

Hi could somebody explain the catchment rules to me . I actually own a house in Watford and its quite close to the Watford Grammar. I have never lived at the house.My own kids are at school which is not in Watford. However I have tenants who insisted on taking a six month tennacy and they are moving out soon. I beleive they did it to get a place for their child at the school.I find this quite wrong, because I am also unsure if they even lived at the house in Watford. Is there anything that can be done regarding this?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now