Parmiters streamlining exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
busybee

Post by busybee »

Hi there
Can someone clarify these "extra" tests for streamlining for Watford Grammer?
Also I am to interested in anyone recomending private tutors for my little ones. Please send me private message.
Thanks.
WP

Post by WP »

busybee wrote:Can someone clarify these "extra" tests for streamlining for Watford Grammer?
There is no streaming or extra test before entry at either of the Watford Grammars -- the above discussion was about Parmiter's. Children are placed in mixed ability forms. In some subjects they will later be divided into sets based on their performance in that particular subject at the school. Other subjects continue to be taught in forms through to year 9.
Rosie42

Post by Rosie42 »

The date for the assessments is Saturday 24th April.

Does anyone know whether preparation is needed? DS has never come across NVR before (nor have I so I can't help him)

Rosie
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

Personally, I wouldn't do any preparation with my children for these sort of tests. That way they should be put into a group with peers of a similar ability.

Alison
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi

Does anybody know what happens if your DC misses the test as they're either off sick or get offered a place from the waiting list after the tests have taken place.

Ally
tense

Post by tense »

It's not a problem - the school will just arrange for your DC to sit the tests at a later date. A friend's son couldn't make the original one in April & he just went in a few weeks later.
Rosie42

Post by Rosie42 »

I went to the curriculum evening last week and they said the CATS tests they use help them identify HOW the children learn best as well as giving them an idea of their academic potential (ie does the child learn best by hearing, seeing or doing - NLP by another name). They also said that they use the SATS scores as well. Therefore if you were to 'prepare' your child in, say, non-verbal reasoning, they might get the false impression that your child learnt best by the visual method and then wrongly direct their teaching methods to that child. Well, it made sense to me at the time.... :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now