Parmiters waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

matthews

Post by matthews »

We have a DD in joint 5th position at Parmiters. We have been told that we have a good chance of obtaining a place. Just need to wait and see what movement there is on the 16th March. We have luckily been offered one of our other choices. But would dearly love Parmiters. Has anyone got any other information regarding the waiting list and how far they normally go down too. Last year they went down to 5th, which was unusual. Hoping for the best.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

Hi,

I have posted a link from last years thread on Parmiters C I list. Rivermoon was offered in the latter parts of the summer can not quite find the thread and her place is explained below.

Tense and watmum may be along with more knowledge

Good Luck

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=9918
WP

Post by WP »

watfordmum66 wrote:I have posted a link from last years thread on Parmiters C I list. Rivermoon was offered in the latter parts of the summer can not quite find the thread and her place is explained below.
Here it is:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... p?p=122374

WB offer (11th Aug) on page 1 of that thread, Parmiter's (3rd Sep) on page 3.
matthews

Post by matthews »

Thankyou both for your replys, very helpfull. I noticed that last year Rivermoon started at 8th place and looks like would of been offered earlier if it had not been for 3 appeal places. That seems a high number of successful appeals for Parmiters (Is that unusual). Do you think 5th is a good position at this stage. Admissions at Parmiters seem very optimistic about our chances. But you just never know. Should i prepare myself for the worst.

Thankyou
tense

Post by tense »

I'm afraid I don't know much about the waiting lists at Parmiter's.

But when my DD started, someone simply didn't show up on the first day (unbelievable - not to have the courtesy to let the school know when so many families are hoping for places). So a girl in her class joined two days late.

Hang in there - it's such early days the waiting list is a bit of a work of fiction at this stage (people won't necessarily even have sent their acceptances back yet - I think they get two weeks from allocation day to reply).
watmum

Post by watmum »

matthews wrote:Should i prepare myself for the worst.

Thankyou
Sadly, I personally always prepare for the worst, then anything else is a real bonus, but that's just me. I do thnk that three successful appeals at Parmiter's was arare thing (there is a thread about that from last year somewhere too)
Mrs Binions and the admissions ladies know best, and if they have given you hope then, it looks favourable, but I do know that in previous years it has not gone beyond those on joint 4/5. I am sure you do already know that there are 3 or 4 places on each waiting list spot, so being, say in 5th place means effectively there are 16 or more children ahead of you.

But, that aside, if the school have given you hope, hold on to that, I have a good feeling for you and will keep it all crossed for a good result.
mn4538

Proximity Waiting List

Post by mn4538 »

Hi all!
My DD didn't get any of her choices, and was offered Bushey Academy which I promptly refused :cry:
However, she is placed first on the proximity (distance) waiting list for Parmiters. Does anyone know what the movement is on that usually?

Also what happens if say a student applied to St Michaels and Parmiters and got a place at both on proximity, but had ranked St Michaels first on their HCC application? Would Parmiters know that or would they send out an offer letter and then it would be for the parents to refuse the place? I know someone that applied for both schools and am hoping that that is the case as my DD should get a place that way at the end of March? :o
tense

Re: Proximity Waiting List

Post by tense »

mn4538 wrote:Also what happens if say a student applied to St Michaels and Parmiters and got a place at both on proximity, but had ranked St Michaels first on their HCC application? Would Parmiters know that or would they send out an offer letter and then it would be for the parents to refuse the place? I know someone that applied for both schools and am hoping that that is the case as my DD should get a place that way at the end of March? :o
I may have misunderstood you but I think the student - having ranked St M's higher - should only get an offer from them. Children should only get an offer from one school (excluding indies).
tense

Post by tense »

mn4538

I've just seen from your other thread that you don't live in Garston at the moment (although will be moving there). Does that mean that Parmiter's were prepared to use your new address to place you on the CI distance list? I didn't realise they could do that.

I think being first on the distance list sounds an excellent position to be in!

Good luck
WP

Re: Proximity Waiting List

Post by WP »

mn4538 wrote:My DD didn't get any of her choices, and was offered Bushey Academy which I promptly refused :cry:
That seems to indicate an error in the Herts Outturn Report, which claims that there were no NRAs to Bushey Academy this year.

You may be OK because of your proximity (though that list would move less than the other two), but I would strongly advise anyone not to refuse the allocated place unless you have an alternative. You may think the allocated place is bad, but it would be even worse to be stuck without a school in September, when all but the least popular and most distant schools are full, as in this case last year:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?t=11203

As well as going on the Parmiter's waiting list, and possibly appealing, you would be wise to secure a backup place at one of the schools with available places as insurance against the worst. It won't affect your waiting list place or your appeal.
mn4538 wrote:Also what happens if say a student applied to St Michaels and Parmiters and got a place at both on proximity, but had ranked St Michaels first on their HCC application? Would Parmiters know that or would they send out an offer letter and then it would be for the parents to refuse the place? I know someone that applied for both schools and am hoping that that is the case as my DD should get a place that way at the end of March? :o
In that case neither St Michaels nor Parmiter's would not have known how they were ranked, and would both have told the LA that they could offer a place. The rankings are only used in a situation like this, where more than one school can offer a place. Since your friend told HCC that they would prefer the St Michaels place in this situation, the Parmiter's place would have then been taken back and offered to the next person on the list. This would have happened months ago; the system ensures that each applicant gets only one offer. Any movement after that is due to people moving or going private.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now