Non Ranked Allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
raceytracey

Post by raceytracey »

Hi There

Although I am not going through this situation this year I happend to be on here today and saw this thread.

As a previous poster mentioned I went through this nightmare last year. We wanted either Rickmansworth or Clement Danes. We were allocated Westfield.

I went through a terrible few months and in the end my DD did go to Westfield and so far we are very happy with the school. It is definately worth going round and taking a look at the school. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
The new Head Mistress is excellent and doing everything she can to ensure the school is up in the same ranks as the likes of CD, Bushey Meads etc.
For this years intake we know of several families who listed WF as one of their preferences. I think that shows the school is on the up.

I know you are devasted you didnt get any of your choices and you need to do everything you can to get one of them but dont be disheartened if you DD does end up going to WF. She will be absolutely fine. Our DD has made some georgous friends and I am sure this years 7 intake will be just as lovely.
lynmill

Post by lynmill »

Thank you for all your reasurrances.
Raceytracey that is excellent news to hear your DD is getting on great - its just upsetting when your child works so hard at school and isnt given any of your choices - you almost ask yourself - why us!!??

We have heard mixed reviews about WF but never went to see it as it was so far away from us. However we phoned WF today for a tour but apparently they are not doing any more at the moment and have placed us on a list!! :?

My DD is now 22 on the list at BM and will wait and see for Queens later this week.

Is applying for out of area schools still an option - is St Albans at all possible?

Thanks again - this really helps :wink:
lisipitt

Re: Non Ranked Allocation

Post by lisipitt »

I don't know if you will be looking at this website at all lately but i remember coming across your message on the forum quite some time ago. My heart went out to you and how you must have been feeling as we also thought our son was bright and would not have entered him for schools that had exam enteries if we thought he didn't stand a chance in gaining the marks expected to get a place. We too were offered a school we didnt want and didnt think it would be right for our child at all. In March just like yourself we were all in a really bad way and my son was too. Fortunately the secretary at my son's school was fantastic when i called her on allocation day in tears. She asked me what number he was on the lists of my chosen schools and then honestly told me he had a very good chance of our third preference and an achievable chance at our second but not for our first. We were very lucky to be offered our third choice in May. We were also delighted to be offered our second choice in July. Our son however, after much debating pros and cons etc deceided to stick with our third choice as it had been offered much earlier he had been in to the school they had been to his primary for a visit he had taken cats exams there and now felt he belonged there. He now had a school to go to and we liked it alot and it was one of our choices. We were and are over the moon but it has been a log hard slog and also one failed appeal although we did get offered a place there in the end unfortunately too late as my son had made his choice. I wanted to know how you and your daughter had got on and did you get anything you wanted in the end and how you are all feeling. I really hope things turned out ok for you in the end. No one should have to go through that especially if the child works really hard and just narrowly misses out by a few marks. I hope you are keeping well and something has turned up for you i do realize we were very very lucky in the end and got offered two of our choices we didn't feel very lucky in March. Take care and await your reply. Lisipitt
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What a lovely post. Please respost this first week in March next year when some forum members will be feeling as you did early on this year. I am sure it will really help and so great to hear that it has all worked out so well for you. DG
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

REading all these mails jst putsme on the hot coals again ! After so much stress and worrying I sometimes think to myself that when DD sits the test later this yeat we ll just hope for best outcome and not wory so much and if worst happens we ll deal with it . This just goes to show that I,m not alone in feeling this .Why does this mean so much more than what we had to go through ? I can honestly say that after going thrpough stress and mergers and threats of job losses in the city this is far more stressful because you just cant shake the feeling that all kids work so hard and you heap so much pressure on them ......
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now