Homework

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

workhard

Re: Homework and year 7 in general

Post by workhard »

Hi everyone!

I can only echo what Barnetdad has said about homework at HBS. I expect, though, that the pace will quicken soon enough, especially in the next half term. The pastoral planning and sensitivity seem very professional and quite excellent, so far, I must say. A sensitivity to the amount of homework early on may be one positive symptom of this. It also makes common sense: how much of the homework can be sinking in when our kids are exhausted?

Looking forward, HBS girls have a reputation for being quite fast learners and motivated workers and for doing a lot of independent or semi-independent reading and other prep for lessons as they progress through the school. Some subject teachers have said that lessons are mainly for discussion and debate, with girls generally picking up the fundamentals and the theory by themselves, with staff available to support as needed.

Each child needs a couple of mates, to shine at one subject in the classroom and to excel at one extracurricular activity. But this can take longer than a couple of weeks. And a little praise can go a very long way, especially at this early stage. The first overnight school trip can make a huge difference. All their anxieties, including any homework issues, should be seen in this context.

My private target date for 'review' is July 2011: by then, I will have seen a full year's cycle and a full year's work. None of us should be surprised as our kids develop spectacularly - remember how worried and anxious we all were just a year ago?... And , by then, they will be quite bored without a lot of homework each night and each weekend!

WH
BarnetDad

Re: Homework

Post by BarnetDad »

Good point about the excelling in 1 subject/activity. My DD was slightly taken aback by how much faster some of the other girls were at maths! But she seems to be enjoying the badminton (the advantage of being in a non-sporty school is that it's easy to get into the team). And for anyone going on Tuesday to the Open Day, she'll be on stage - and feeling rather nervous about it
Daogroupie

You knpw who on stage, well done to her!

Post by Daogroupie »

That is fantastic Barnetdad. We were really hoping to see her. We are going on Wed morn, will she be doing them all? If not please tell us which one and we will be there making encouraging nods. How did they pick them?

On homework at DAO dd is spending a lot of time maiking and decorating book covers, no high powered academic homework as yet, but they have done a "refresher" science test which was full of KS3 science so not sure how that can be a refresher test for KS2 kids. Needless to say she dropped an entire SATS level and was pretty devastated about it until she heard about everyone else's marks. They have also had Cats tests, hockey trials, netball trials, choir and orchestra auditions so not much time for homework yet. She does seem to have five subjects today so I think its a gradual ramp up. And yes, hard to get out of bed in the morning, we will live in fear of all sleeping through and waking up in a panic like the family in Home Alone!
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Ah, well I think she's only doing the Tuesday performances. I don't think the Yr7s are doing tours (they'd get lost!).
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

My son (deleted) too gets immense amount of homework. Althhough he is just about able to manage it, he is losing out on sleeep. It is all new, travelling, school, routines,more hours away from home! - leaves home at.. . comes back between ... so that really squeezes homework (1hrs 30 mins), dinner, wind down time and a quick snack. THere is no rest time afer all the running they do and .. too! Hard on boys!

I heard Henrietta does not give any work in the first term and very littke later as compared to QE!

sorry too much info so I deleted this post
Cinderella
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now