Ridiculous letter regarding absence

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

workhard

Re: Ridiculous letter regarding absence

Post by workhard »

Hi Barnetdad!

Sorry to hear about your letter.

We have had a little discussion with the same KS3 Head re what counts as 'late' in the morning and afternoon register - our DD was marked late twice on Open Days whilst on formal speaking duty in the hall! (Neither DD nor her Mum were impressed - I just want a quiet life!)

I work in schools and all Local Authorities (and Ofsted) seem to give each school a lot of grief over lateness and absences. (Preparing for a school drama production all day is fine, but doing the same for a community theatre group is not!) I noticed from the HBS handbook that they are big on these details. The schools have to show LA and Ofsted Inspectors that they have a rigorous and consistent system of follow up over the slightest lateness or absence. My guess is that HBS has been stung on this in the recent past and so are ultra-sensitive. A school probably gets brownie points for tough or insensitive letters!

Another thing: HBS is especially vulnerable on lateness because so many pupils come from so far away - a consequence of not having a geographical catchment area. ... And a high proportion of pupils with overseas connections means greater likelihood of termtime family visits. And some families do take the mickey, for example going overseas during term time again and again. That does not help the rest of us.

Oh, and teachers spend nearly all their time dealing with kids, so their reflex communication is the 'you have been very naughty' type of tone and they are generally far too busy to finesse this in each case, I fear.

Finally, 270+ pupils is too many for just one Head of Key Stage to get around, especially on such matters.

My approach now is to grit my teeth, take a deep breath and try to make friends with each Teacher and Support Staff. We have nearly 7 years more for bits of upset to arise, but a more personal relationship should help.

Anyhow, hope the wine helped. ... And is HBS not aware that you are already a pillar of the school community?

WH
greengreengrass

Post by greengreengrass »

I haven't used this before, but having hovered and seen this, felt the need to reply. I have 2 daughters at HB, both of whom have been under this head of key stage in their school career. I have always found her to be excellent and to know both my daughter's and their friends well. Indeed my girls and their chums seem to chat about her with adoration.

When I requested time off for a family emergency she called to explain a letter was coming and to offer support for both my girls (my eldest is in ks4 but would naturally go to head of 3 for support). She has also explained to me on another occasion that the letters are standardised and the reasons why.

I would very much second the idea of calling the school and arranging a phone conversation or meeting with her to ease your mind.

Finally I do think 270 girls is a lot particularly when those girls move up in year groups but I have only ever seen very good and excellent head of key stage support from her at HB.

I may see some of you on Saturday.
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Thanks all for the suggestions. Time is cooling and, yes, the girls all love the head of KS3. I suppose she may not be responsible for the standard letter, and I will probably ask about the hint of disapproval.

Another PLS customer? I hope you've signed up on the website!!!
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

BarnetDad, not in your area but if it’s of any consolation we get these all the time (DD has T1 diabetes and other autoimmune issues so rarely hits 90% attendance in any given term/half-term). They go straight into my circular filing cabinet :D

PS I think sometimes there isn’t much joined-up thinking behind these things – we once got told off by a PE teacher because DD had missed a Y8 netball training session. Err, yes, that’s because she was playing for the Y9 team at the time… :lol:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Rob Clark wrote: PS I think sometimes there isn’t much joined-up thinking behind these things – we once got told off by a PE teacher because DD had missed a Y8 netball training session. Err, yes, that’s because she was playing for the Y9 team at the time… :lol:
I agree, and PE departments seem to be the most territorial in this area.

edited to remove a monumental OT rant sorry
Last edited by mad? on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mad?
greengreengrass

Post by greengreengrass »

We're booked for Saturday. Its great to have a website!
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Ha! Thanks guys for the dose of reality. I think the circular filing cabinet may come in handy ;-)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now