Ashmole school

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
chumpy

Ashmole school

Post by chumpy »

Could anyone please let me know anything you know or have heard about this secondary school in Southgate.
I would be very grateful,have found this site to be fantastic and so helpful to parents.Thanks. :)
2Girlsmum

Re: Ashmole school

Post by 2Girlsmum »

It has a very tight catchment area, so I'd check that first unless you are looking at one of the music places. We considered it - only 15 mins on the tube and good mixed school - but the cut-off distance last year was just over 0.6 mile for the 224 places after sibling places were allocated.

They moved to their new building a few years ago which is just behind Southgate station and is a lovely 'bells and whistles' place. The 2 children I know who attend are very happy. My SIL used to teach there, but left as the head really pushes the staff hard - teaching extra lessons etc. She was forced to work long hours to prepare lessons as the scheduled free time during the day was often eaten into. Good for pupils but not so good for staff!
chumpy

Post by chumpy »

Hi,
Thanyou for that info,very good to know.It is still early days for my DD,she's in yr4 but i am now thinking of starting the journey of which school would be suitable for her when she starts secondary,it is quite tricky as you need to find out so much info and gather knowledge about various schools,this is where this site and all its members come in!I am so glad i found it by fluke!
DD is in a grade one state school,would like to try for other selective schools like DAO and Mill Hill Couty,she would have to have tutoring and work very hard to have a chance and even then no guarantee that she would get a place.This is why i want to get any info i can on non selective state schools in the area so i have good backups.We are in the catchment for Wren but i know it has no history and no results as yet as no sixth form yet.I would consider moving to be in the right catchment for a non selective school where she would have a good chance of gaining a place.
Please do let me know your thoughts on the above,i would be ever so grateful for any enlightment.
nat

Post by nat »

I see children walking to Ashmole every morning and I would say they behave well. We live too far so we didn't apply, but definitely worth considering.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

chumpy wrote:Could anyone please let me know anything you know or have heard about this secondary school in Southgate.
I would be very grateful,have found this site to be fantastic and so helpful to parents.Thanks. :)

The school has an excellent reputation and the son of one of our close friends goes there. They literally leave a stone's throw away from the school so they expect that their younger child will also join her older brother in a few years time. They recently moved into the area although it is by an amazing chain of events that they ended up being so close to Ashmole Their DS is very very happy at this school and they have not had one day's trouble since he started. Probably they would not have considered it otherwise, because as this is a vey much sought after school proximity is crucial.
sj355
chumpy

Post by chumpy »

Hi sj355,
Thanks for your reply,sounds like a fab school,shame about the very tight cachment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now