Letter from primary regarding appealing

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
proudswan

Letter from primary regarding appealing

Post by proudswan »

A colleague at work has had a letter from their DS primary advising parents not to bother appealing as most people get offered one of their choices through waiting lists!
Has anyone else had a letter like this and how true is it?
The schools applied for are in the Watford/St Albans area.
Last edited by proudswan on Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Re: Letter from primary regarding appealing

Post by Etienne »

Someone else may be able to comment on the particular schools, but the safest thing to do is always to pursue both avenues (the waiting list & an appeal). If a place arises from the waiting list, the appeal (if it hasn't already taken place) can always be cancelled.
Etienne
proudswan

Post by proudswan »

Thanks Etienne, that's what I thought and what I said to the parent :)
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What an extraordinary thing for the primary school to do. Why would they risk ruining any chances that their Y6 parent might have left? Who was the letter from and on what authority were they claiming that everyone gets in on waiting lists? Verulam is a boys school that parents from our school apply to. We know parents who have waited years on the waiting list. We also know three parents last year who applied for another very oversubscribed boys school and were way down the list. They went to appeal because they had nothing left to lose. Much to their surprise they all won their appeal and got places above families who live much much closer than they do. I was really surprised when I heard and congratulated one of the mums and asked her what grounds she won her appeal. She said she had no idea why and was really surprised but delighted. I cannot imagine why any primary school would advise their parents not to appeal. I really hope the parents do not take their advice. DG
proudswan

Post by proudswan »

The letter was from the head of the school :? The parents involved will appeal if their DS doesn't get an allocation that they are happy with. However I can't help but wonder if some parents will take the head's word as law and won't appeal as a result of the letter.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I hope your colleague from work will spread the word among Year Six parents that they have nothing to lose and everything to gain by appealing. I hate to think of someone being number one on the waiting list and then missing out because other people lower down the list appeal and they don't. I cannot think why your HM would send such a letter. Perhaps Herts Count Council are trying to reduce costs on appeals and asked HM's to send these letters. But I know plenty of people at lots of different Herts primary schools and have not heard of a letter like this. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now