Continued Interest Information

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

busybeenfun

Re: Continued Interest Information

Post by busybeenfun »

As you will see from some other threads, there will be CI interest movement right up until September as some parents are holding onto both indie and a place at a SW consortium school (e.g. WGSG) and won't make a decision until later in the Summer. With the current financial situation it seems that some parents hold onto their state school place 'just in case', which is understandable I suppose but highly frustrating for those waiting on the CI lists. To be offered a place in July/Sept I would imagine is unsettling as although pleased, you have probably geared up your DC and often purchased uniform for your allocated school by that point.
nia1999

Post by nia1999 »

I keep wondering whether to bother the schools and ask for current position ? I,m glad there is movement right till Sept as we live in hope....
Ally

Post by Ally »

lzwpm6 wrote:Hi Ally - and did your DC get into Parmiter's..? If so when did it happen for you..? This is the most agonising and stressfull time ever..! I can't quite understand what is going on this year. There was a lot of movement after the 16th March, so will there be any further movement now I wonder..?
Hi
No we weren't lucky enough to get a place at Parmiter's via the CI List. The Parmiter's academic waiting list has approx 4 pupils in each position. So we started off at joint 10th (40th in real terms). By the start of term they had offered down to 8 or 9th (35 in real terms) I was surprised that after allocation day they had to offer 35 additional place to fill the 46 academic places We were very fortunate to have Queens as our Second Choice.

I spent a long time waiting (with wonderful support from the forum) for the CI list to move, but it wasn’t to be! Waiting on a CI list can be very rewarding, and a number of forum member from last year successfully gained places for their DC’s from the CI list. Yet no one can predict how much a list will move as each year there are so many variables involved.

It wasn’t until we attended a New Pupils Evening held at Queens in late June at I realised that Queen’s would be the perfect school for my DS. The school and it staff seemed so real and grounded. Maybe I should have asked, if we could have had an additional tour of the school, as this might have settled things earlier

Some people will hang on to a place at a state school as a backup or maybe just don't see the need to notify people that they no longer require the place, so there is a slim chance that places can become available at the start of term. But if you do decide to wait it out until the bitter end, please think of the unsettling effect it may have on your DC ( and yourself) It's a different kettle of fish if your allocated school wasn't one of your choice. If you're just waiting for school that higher up in your 3 or 6 choices what difference will it make to your DC? If they're a bright child they'll bound to flourish and reach their potential at any good school .My DS is proof of that.

I'm so pleased that we made to decision that Queen's was the right school for our DS as there was a noticeably difference in his personal confidence one the decision had been made. He could confidently attend the new starter day/events knowing that he was attending the school.

Now my DS has completed 2 term of his first year at Queen’s. He seems so happy and grounded and doing surprisingly well academically. We recently had his first report and his lowest graded was for Sport. Yet he loves the access to the sports facilities and using he own initiative has become one of the Y7 Reps on the School Sports Council. I know that at Queen’s he will thrive and be pushed to reach his full potential.
sf40

Post by sf40 »

Can I ask anyone who is holding on to a place they don't intend to take up, if they can please notify the relevant school asap, so that those of us on the waiting lists stand a chance of moving up? It might be that you have now been offered a place at a higher ranked school and you have just forgotten to advise the other school, in which case, please would you mind doing so?

My DS didn't get any of his preferences and we have been allocated a place at Westfield. He is quite near the top of all three waiting lists for our preferred schools and I am just desperate to get him in. I am doing all I can but the waiting is killing me!!!

Thanks for reading this.
:(
TubbyCakes

Post by TubbyCakes »

SF40, whilst I appreciate your frustration by those holding places which they made not take up, I would just give you another perspective.

My DC has been allocated a place at one of the very desirable SW Herts. consortium schools widely mentioned in this forum. We had moved our DC to the private sector in part because we feel they are not ready to transfer at 11. When we approached allocated school about not taking place but could we be placed on the waiting list to be reconsidered for later entry even though a place may not come, the response was to say the least less than helpful even when we explained our DC’s circumstances and it was very much no, take it or leave it.

We have decided to leave it until August and decide then. In all probability we won’t move them, but I would say that some of these schools really do not help themselves by their arrogant and self-serving attitude.
Chilled

Post by Chilled »

Tubbycakes

I don't think that the school is necessarily being arrogant or self-serving. My understanding is that a child can only be on the CI list for the relevant year group which in your DC's case would be September's Y7. It doesn't make sense to decline a place and at the same time ask to be put on the CI list for September. If you want to transfer later then you will have to apply for an in-year admissions place via Hertfordshire County Council who will rank your DC according to their in-year admissions criteria not the school's Y7 admissions criteria.

I understand your concern to make sure that you choose the right school for your DC but think that it would be fairer to the schools, the DC who will be offered the declined place at either the state or Indie school and your own DC if you could bring yourselves to decide before the end of the academic year. At least that way the DC concerned will know where they are going before the school hols - and who knows how many other DC will be affected by your decision as places become available further down the chain. Imagine how you would feel if it was the other way round and you were desperately hoping that your DC would be offered a place at his/her first choice school.
jo55

Post by jo55 »

If anyone hears anything this week from the 2nd round of allocations, could you please post here, so we know if there has been some movement. Thanks Jo x
jo55

Post by jo55 »

Hi,
I got a letter from Herts yesterday offering my son a place at Parmiters. Am pleased, so have given up my place at St CD. Still hanging on for WGB though. Anybody else heard any news?
Thanks Jo xx
Mantha

Post by Mantha »

Hi Jo 55. I was told on the phone on Friday that my DS is now 1st on the waiting list for SCD. Could you tell me whether the place you gave up there was a distance, music or academic place??? I'm keeping my fingers so firmly crossed that he's offered a place there in the next few weeks. All this waiting is killing me and him :(
jo55

Post by jo55 »

They never told me on what criteria he got in but its definately not distance, so can only presume academic or music. I hope this helps and good luck.

Jo x