opinions on QE and WB

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
zorro

Re: opinions on QE and WB

Post by zorro »

sj, I just meant that I don't have any regrets about him not getting into ( for example :wink: QE ) the other schools and that I don't feel he got a runner's up prize!
Can't believe your DS is doing GCSE's already!
WP

Post by WP »

I've removed some postings that were off the topic, which is these schools, not other posters.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

sj355 wrote:My son goes to QE. He is very happy there, although from our point of view as parents the work involved can in some cases be exhausting. But he seems to enjoy it in the vast majority of his GCSEs.
This reminds me ... DS's friend has just started at QE and asked me for some help with revision for a French test. Bearing in mind that this was just term 1 of Year 7, I could not believe the standard expected from the boys: they'd already been taught 2 tenses (possibly 3) and were expected to remember expressions that they'd come across once in texts that were not part of the textbook. I wonder how boys who don't have access to extra help cope. (I was secretly impressed.)
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

sj355 wrote:It is strange how this courses for horses belief seems to be prevailing.

My son goes to QE. He is very happy there, although from our point of view as parents the work involved can in some cases be exhausting. But he seems to enjoy it in the vast majority of his GCSEs.

I firmly believe that had he gone to our alternative school choices he would have been equally happy, made friends and settled as well as in QE. Overall it is highly speculative to dwell on alterantive scenarios in alternative universes. The fact that a child is happy in one school does not necessarily imply that he would have been less happy in another school, and in the cases of many good schools (grammars, independents and indeed some comprehensives) the choice would make very little difference to the well being (& the academic progress) of the child.

Now as for us for parents... I think that this is where the problem lies!... :?

I don't see how it is strange that not all schools are suited to all pupils - some schools simply don't have the right ambiance or balance for certain pupils - and it is not always the case that a child will be happy in which ever school they are put into - for those that are - good for them, they are most fortunate.

I daresay that there will be cases of "sour grapes" when people don't get the school they felt they preferred - but we didn't apply for QE as the boys didn't like it - they both like WB and are fortunate enough to be happy there.
sj355

Post by sj355 »

I don't see how it is strange that not all schools are suited to all pupils - some schools simply don't have the right ambiance or balance for certain pupils - and it is not always the case that a child will be happy in which ever school they are put into - for those that are - good for them, they are most fortunate.
I believe that the majority of pupils belong to this latter category. The ones that are not are the exemption that confirms the rule.

It is us adults that become stroppy in older age (including myself) and then transfer all our hesitations to our children (consciously or -more often- subconsciously)

There is an exception into this rule: the case of bullying in some schools: it would take a very stong character indeed to settle happily in such a school.
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

zorro wrote:sj, I just meant that I don't have any regrets about him not getting into ( for example :wink: QE ) the other schools and that I don't feel he got a runner's up prize!
Can't believe your DS is doing GCSE's already!
Neither can I!! Time flies, does it not?
sj355
sj355

Post by sj355 »

Perhaps this may be useful to people as background information http://www.qebarnet.co.uk/images/cms_fi ... 202010.pdf
(it gives a snapsot of how many pupils from 180 remain at QE at the start of year 11 [a handful of people leave or are excluded] and then how many of those remaining leave to do their A levels elsewhere, plus some info on appeal numbers)

For good measure this a letter send to all parents from QE's headmaster (will retire at the end of this academic year) two days ago:

Dear Parents,

I am pleased to inform you that OFSTED inspectors have once again confirmed Queen Elizabeth's status as an "outstanding" school. The attached desktop report is self explanatory and marks 15 years of sustained excellence in OFSTED reports.

Yours sincerely,
John Marincowitz

Headmaster
sj355
WP

Post by WP »

sj355 wrote:Perhaps this may be useful to people as background information http://www.qebarnet.co.uk/images/cms_fi ... 202010.pdf
(it gives a snapsot of how many pupils from 180 remain at QE at the start of year 11 [a handful of people leave or are excluded] and then how many of those remaining leave to do their A levels elsewhere)
Hmm, don't they fill vacancies up to year 11?

While you're here: a couple of weeks ago Minesh remarked on the low number of Further Maths entries at QE. Any ideas on why that would be?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

WP wrote:Hmm, don't they fill vacancies up to year 11?
No, only in the first few months of year 7 if these ocur at this year from their waiting list. They are not other points of pupil entry at QE
WP wrote:While you're here: a couple of weeks ago Minesh remarked on the low number of Further Maths entries at QE. Any ideas on why that would be?
Good question, especially since my son is interested in doing this A level and I still have not been able to extract information from his teachers on what it takes to secure a recommendation for this A level. The only answer was that he will have to keep working very hard!!

My guess is that the low number is a combination of both low demand (a vast majority is interested in doing medicine and dentistry where Further Maths is not exactly a typical choice for this type of career direction) and very strict standards. Will definetely let you know as more information emerges!
sj355
WP

Post by WP »

sj355 wrote:
WP wrote:While you're here: a couple of weeks ago Minesh remarked on the low number of Further Maths entries at QE. Any ideas on why that would be?
Good question, especially since my son is interested in doing this A level and I still have not been able to extract information from his teachers on what it takes to secure a recommendation for this A level. The only answer was that he will have to keep working very hard!!

My guess is that the low number is a combination of both low demand (a vast majority is interested in doing medicine and dentistry where Further Maths is not exactly a typical choice for this type of career direction) and very strict standards. Will definetely let you know as more information emerges!
For comparison, WB requires A* in GCSE Maths to start Further Maths, but they ignore it when counting the number of subjects you're doing, i.e. you have to do 3 other AS levels and 2 other A2s in addition to Maths and Further Maths. Sounds tough, but this year they had 35 entries, with 16 A*, 5 A and 9 B.