Marlborough School v Bushey Academy

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quitefedupnow

Marlborough School v Bushey Academy

Post by quitefedupnow »

Would it be worth accepting a place-if we are given it-at Marlborough instead of Bushey Academy. A mum at school has reservations about her child going to BA and it has rubbed off. DS teacher said it would be better. Helpful comments please, thank you :)
WP

Re: Marlborough School vBushey Academy

Post by WP »

I'm afraid I don't have any insights on the choice you face, but you do need to make this decision before you get the offer. That is because when you get the offer the original place will be automatically withdrawn.
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

I don't know anything (good or bad) about Marlborough, but I do know families who were allocated Bushey Academy in the past couple of years, who have then put it down as first choice for the younger siblings this year. If I were you though, I would go back to both schools and see what the 'feeling' is for you and your DS.
quitefedupnow

Post by quitefedupnow »

WP wrote:I'm afraid I don't have any insights on the choice you face, but you do need to make this decision before you get the offer. That is because when you get the offer the original place will be automatically withdrawn.
That is the dilemma isnt it? Good thinking time over the hols :)
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

Hi,

Unfortunately i can't comment on Marlborough as have no knowledge of the school at all.

However my daughter was allocated Bushey Academy in 2009, it wasn't one of our choices and she is absolutely thriving there.
My son is currently in Year 6 so going through the process now too! We put Queens first as it was his preferred choice, but we had absolutely no hesitation putting Bushey Academy 2nd as an (almost) guaranteed place as a sibling.
We have absolute confidence in the school, the head and the teaching staff. Plus the building work has already started on what will by Sept 2012, be fantastic new buildings.
He has been allocated a place at Bushey Academy but is high on Queens list and he is fine with either.

Could i refer you to the thread below, in particular Page 2, where KiwiFruit gives a great account of her sons experience at Bushey Academy, (he is currently in Year 7 there), and i replied further down the page with an account of our experience, my daughter is in Year 8.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=16908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In fact in January our daughter got offered a place from the CI list at Bushey Meads, a school that was on our list and a place that we would have jumped for joy at getting a year ago .............. she turned it down as she is so happy at Bushey Academy. She is currently on a ski-ing holiday in Austria with the school and having a great time.

I'd love to know what the other mums reservations are that have rubbed off on you, are they based on facts or heresay?

Good luck with your decision, it's a tough time but definitely go and look at both schools again as soon as poss after the Easter hols and before the 2nd run of CI lists, as WP says if you get allocated another school, your place at the original school will be removed.

Good luck!!
quitefedupnow

Post by quitefedupnow »

Her son has a SEN and she is worried about how good the teaching will be. She also is friends with a teacher there. It rattled me a bit as I thought well if you are worried should I be?
His teacher said that BA would love him there, he is a brilliant lad (I would say that wouldnt I?) but said we should try M.

They are very encouraging posts, we are taking him to the induction day to see how he fares. I need to get rid of my Hyacinth Bucket alter-ego :D
Tamilla

Re: Marlborough School v Bushey Academy

Post by Tamilla »

My dd was allocated westfield and I have added her to BA list instead as I much prefer this school. she is on ci lists for her chosen schools but I would rather her at BA over wf. i know some wondeful, successful, well rounded young adults who have come out of BA and loved it there !! x
quitefedupnow

Post by quitefedupnow »

I put BA as I knew without siblings etc DS would probably get Westfield. Thank you x
Genesis

Post by Genesis »

quitefedupnow wrote:Her son has a SEN and she is worried about how good the teaching will be. She also is friends with a teacher there. It rattled me a bit as I thought well if you are worried should I be?

Ok, so she's coming at it from a slightly different perspective then, with the SEN thing.
I was just worried that she might have been in the 'It's still a dreadful school, the children are awful' etc etc camp, when she had no idea what the school was about now and how things have changed, or might have never even visited it. :wink:
They are very encouraging posts, we are taking him to the induction day to see how he fares.
Great, hope it goes well for him! :)
I need to get rid of my Hyacinth Bucket alter-ego :D
:lol: :lol:
quitefedupnow

Post by quitefedupnow »

:lol:
Her knowing someone there has made me worry tho, if it is going well, surely she would be getting a great help for her child? I feel it is a case of you put him there, but I am certainly not. I would have thought he would be well looked after.