tutor for Queens?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dino

tutor for Queens?

Post by dino »

Hi All

I am new to this - can anyone reccomend a good Tutor for 11 plus for Queens in Bushy ?

Thanks
AlisonR

Re: tutor for Queens?

Post by AlisonR »

Hi Dino

I'm afraid I can't recommend a tutor for Queens' entrance exams as I don't know any. However, I do know that the exams are the SW herts consortium exams so any advice/tutors recommended for those exams will be useful.

Have a look at the sticky at the top of this forum for more details about the format of the exam.

My DS did these exams a couple of years back and we mainly prepped him with the Bond VR and maths books to give him familiarity with the types of questions involved. Nearer to the test date we started working through a variety of test papers of the standard format variety (not multiple choice) to build up speed. We used any papers we could get our hands on.

When are you looking to apply for Queens'?

Good luck
Alison
dino

Post by dino »

Thank you very much - this is useful, my DS is looking to apply next year.
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

I am wondering how do we know who is a good tutor? - I've heard some tutors just teach with learninig point of view and some rigorously just with the entrances in mind. When we ask them they just say ' Yeah all the material I will do will prepare them for the tests!'
Parents don't know even if they recommend the ones they had for their kids.. for sure if they are the best!
How much is reasonable amount to pay for an hour? I talked to one who wants £60! one hour per week ,will do all the papers there are!
Can anyone advise please! With my older son I never had a tutor, but this time I do want to consider it as my DS just got in on the waiting list..
Please help.
Cinderella
Luna

Post by Luna »

Cindrella I do wonder the same regarding the quality of tutoring. But I considered a tutor for my DS as he is reluctant to take practice advise from us. He has a "whatever" attitude if we tutor him (me or my hubby) therefore we hired a tutor.

We are paying £25/hour for individual tutoring, he was recommended by another mother of Grammar school child, and what matters most, my son loves him, he wouldn't mind him coming daily if possible.

He is focused on learining in general but also on exam techniques as he consideres my son is up to speed and doesn't need much more additional knowledge, but he is lacking exam techniques and he is also easily distracted.

Are you applying for Queens?

It will be on our list also but not as first option. But even if my child would get into Queens I would be very happy as it is a great school.
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

Thank you Luna for answering. Yes,*** would be our first choice and that is the only grammer school close to us! Lucky for those who have one grammer scool close to their home and also are able to apply for QE as it doesn't have a catchment. I will also consider r even though it is more than an hours journey.
I know generally that one hour of work the tutor does is quality work and same as parents working for hours! You are so right when you say the attitude of the child is different depending on 'who' is teaching!!
I am considering tutoring but how do we know when we talk to them first time whether they are good enough? I am still so confused!
Last edited by cindrella on Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinderella
Luna

Post by Luna »

Hi Cindrella, I was mistakenly thinking you are talking about Queens in Watford not QE. Good luck to your DC.

We are lucky to be close enough to Watford Grammar, Parmiters and Queens (Watford). So these are our options.

I think when you talk to the tutor you need to see what theaching methods he is following. Best would be to have one recommended to you.

What convinced me that I am on the right path is the fact that the tutor asessed my son first, told me his opinion, asked me if I am happy with the plan he is developing for him (i.e. working more on techiques and improving attention and speed), bassicaly he told me after an hour what I already new: the fact that my son doesn't take time in reading the whole question, that he is easily giving up saying that he doesn't know how to solve a problem (proving that on a second read he knows exactly how to do it).

So after just an hour to be told exactly what you knew, being told also that he has a plan to improve these weak points made me trust him.

The fact that my son said after that he wants the tutor to come again next day and every day prove to me that it was a great move to hire him.

Before hiring him my son was constantly in tears when we were tutoring him, not accepting any advise from us, having a bad attitude. I honestly thought that his teacher was not saying the truth when we met her, that he has a great maths brain, that he loves maths, and all we could see was tears, like we were torturing him. :( So we decided we are not teachers for a reason and got the tutor. Funny enogh now he does addtional work with us having a positive attitude (maybe because we backed off).

Try to find a tutor by recommendation, with a good succes rate (maybe recommended by a QE mother who's child was tutored by him/her) but it should also make learning fun, ask about his methods.

Our tutor is asking the kids what hobby they have and then makes up problems around that hobby.
cindrella

Post by cindrella »

Oh! I see - you guys are talking about Queens! Watford! Nonetheless, the tutor assessment tips you recommend are 'generic' for all and any tutor for 11+. Today, I have found someone who will assess my DS and then I will find out what next!
I have been asking some parents but also looked up in agencies so I got to chose from some next week. Luna, your tips are so useful. Thank you.
Cinderella
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now