Low Morale?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HenryVIII

Low Morale?

Post by HenryVIII »

Anyone else's Y6 DS (or DD) seem a little down-in-the dumps?

What with the weather - not being able to go to sleep easily and a lively DS2 keeping DS1 awake (share a room), the death of his favourite tropical fish and a less-than stellar start to the school year (teacher not marking any homework yet, not far enough in the school year to get stuck into any meaty projects). Obviously YOU KNOW WHAT (SW Consortium schools) looming in November and then school open days... 3 down, 2 to go.

I am just as bad - one minute very excited about the future, the other in despair at the task ahead and then the anxiety of the wait until March.

DS has a pile of 11+ practice papers at home to do... but there's never enough time to look at them.

Other Y6 parents, do you feel like you need therapy yet?
lemondrop

Re: Low Morale?

Post by lemondrop »

I don't feel that my morale is low, but I am feeling exhausted. DD isn't sleeping well, but then she never does, which is a bit of a worry as this does affect her performance. I am really looking forward to the school open days being over, for some reason I find these really tiring.

DD takes her first real exam in 3 weeks time (Latymer NVR), and I must say it's almost a relief that we're that close now, I just want the whole thing to be over.

Therapy? Yes please, and a very stiff drink to go with it!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello Year Six parents, this is the first time in three years that I have not had a Y6 child about to embark on entrance exams and I am not missing the experience at all! It is natural to have these emotional highs and lows in a journey that goes on for so long. You can cheer yourself up by doing a date search on 1st march and seeing just how many of the posters have good news to report every year. It does seem that forum members appear to be much more likely to win a selective place. DG
herty

Post by herty »

Good luck all due to sit soon! Hopefully by this stage you should have covered everything, and are just keeping your oar in, doing occasional but regular papers to stop your dc forgetting how to do them before the real thing!

Not long now - start to plan a big treat for your dcs for when it's over and a big treat for YOU too, as you both deserve it! Then life can return to normal and what will be, will be...

Just to add, my dd was v glum after her Consortium exam last year as, just as she'd finished the VR paper, she overheard one girl asking another if she'd 'seen the questions on the back page'. My dd hadn't. But in spite of missing however many were on the back page, she still got in to her first choice - so even if your dc comes out feeling it didn't go as well as they hoped, it doesn't mean they haven't got a place. But do tell them to remember to CHECK THE BACK PAGE! :)