Number of school choices for secondary transfer

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hera

Number of school choices for secondary transfer

Post by Hera »

Hi
Surrey have just agreed to increase the number of schools that can be selected for secondary from 3 to 6. The situation there seems to be similar to Herts as the surrounding boroughs all allow 6 choices. I know there was some discussion with Herts a while back but can't find any info on the outcome. Does anyone feel that 6 choices would be good in Herts? I was contemplating penning a letter using Surrey as an example? But I can't find what their reasons were for rejecting the request before, or if it was not really ever considered.
Thanks
WP

Re: Number of school choices for secondary transfer

Post by WP »

That leaves Herts as the only local authority bordering London with only 3 preferences. They dropped the idea at the pre-consultation stage last year, and this year didin't even consider it (panel meeting). They say they're still unable to model the effect of adding extra preferences. One suggestion (para 4.5 of the Minutes):
It was noted that a dialogue should be continued with partially selective schools regarding the possibility of entrance tests being carried out before the preferences are chosen. This was seen as a possible alternative to increasing the amount of preferences allowed.
Since the new admission code proposes to make this mandatory, they may think the problem is solved, but I don't see how it would help.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think it was a lot of people badgering the LEA.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... AF#p210569" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... &hilit=caf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thanks for the links; I couldn't find the information. Their arguement about the impact on the Hertfordshire's rural communities seems like an excuse as many of these schools give preference to kids if it is their closest school so it would make little difference as far as I can see? Maybe it is worth a punt at me sending a letter to the Director of Childrens Services in the aftermath of Surrey and perhaps one to Michael Gove about the lack of parental choice and inequality with neighbouring boroughs. Nothing ventured....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now