Applying cross county

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hemelmum

Applying cross county

Post by hemelmum »

Hello everyone

Can someone tell me what the procedure is for applying for schools in different counties. We like the look of both Chesham in Bucks and Parmiters in Herts. 11+ practice is well under way and we will visit schools shortly.

Thanks for your help.
WP

Re: Applying cross county

Post by WP »

Regardless of where the schools are, you fill out a single Common Application Form, with the local authority whose area you live in. Assuming that's Herts, you'll only get 3 preferences, so you need to be very careful with them.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

You also have to register with Bucks County Council Admissions so your child's name is on the list to take the Bucks 11+ exam. Think the closing date is in July so it might be as well to ring them soon.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

For this September 2011 Parmiters set aside 9 places for out of catchment kids. Based on the subject of your post, I'm assuming that this is you. Well, you should know that of the 9 places only 4 was really available since the other 5 went to siblings.
hemelmum

Post by hemelmum »

Thank you to all who replied. I think I didn't explain myself so well. We are just setting out and will taking the 11+ in October 2011. I understood that I would have to apply to Herts county council to take the tests for the sw herts schools and apply to bucks cc (after 11th July) in order to take the test in Bucks. I realise now on reflection, choice of school will not be needed until we have the results of the 11+.

Pushy Dad your comment is very timely. We were really hoping our son will pass the 11+ but today I learnt of a child living close by who had a nearly perfect score and didn't get offered a place at Parmiters. Your 9 places being broken down to 4 places really puts things into perspective. We will be extremely lucky to get in there or in any of the Watford schools.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Hi Hemelmum,

We are in Herts and did the Bucks 11+. The Herts application for schools, which included any Bucks schools we wanted, had to be submitted in September, before the 11+ was even taken. Becuase you are out of county, the tests are taken in the October half term and the results come out in November. I'm sorry I don't have a clue if that's how it works for the Herts 11+.

It always seemed a bit crazy that you had to choose the schools before knowing the results but that's certainly the case for Bucks.

Good luck
WP

Post by WP »

hemelmum wrote:We were really hoping our son will pass the 11+ but today I learnt of a child living close by who had a nearly perfect score and didn't get offered a place at Parmiters. Your 9 places being broken down to 4 places really puts things into perspective. We will be extremely lucky to get in there or in any of the Watford schools.
Parmiter's catchment includes HP1, HP2 and HP3. If you're in the catchment you're competing for the 47 academic and 19 music places, which is tough enough, but if you're outside only 4 are available (and presumably extremely competitive).
hemelmum

Post by hemelmum »

Thanks WP We are in HP3 which gives us some hope :) Son is scoring 90% on bond 11+ papers for VR and Maths. We will be gathering as many test papers as possible over the summer holidays so he gets plenty of practice to give him the best chance possible.

Logic 32 thanks for your best wishes. I think everything will become clear once I can see the Bucks application form and the Herts application form. Not long to go before the admission process for 2012 starts.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hemelmum wrote:I realise now on reflection, choice of school will not be needed until we have the results of the 11+.
As logic32 has said, you submit the CAF before you know the results of the Bucks test. Key dates for Bucks are:

3 Sep - deadline for children not attending a Bucks state school to apply for 11+ testing
25 - 28 Oct - testing for Out of County children - note that this is half term - don't book a holiday
19 Nov - deadline to submit proof of residence
26 Nov - publication of test results. Results for OoC pupils are posted first class that day, hopefully arriving on Saturday 27th.

Please don't miss any of the deadlines!

The Bucks Guide for Parents is here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... _Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The main Secondary Admissions page is here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/schools/a ... ndary.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Sally-Anne
tense

Post by tense »

The Herts consortium test (includes Parmiter's) is on 19 November this year. Your CAF form will need to be in before then - sometime in October (assuming you are in Herts).