Choirs in Herts

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lemondrop

Re: Choirs in Herts

Post by lemondrop »

You probably know about the Finchley Children's Music Group but they have excellent choirs. They may be too far away from you though.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I have looked again at St Albans Cathedral and it is very tempting but for anyone in the know, could I realistically get from the cathedral to Purcell in rush hour traffic in 20 mins? And could I do the same on the way back? School hours are 8:50am-3:40pm and abbey rehearsals finish at 8:25am and start at 4pm on Mon/Tues/Thurs. :?
onetogo

Post by onetogo »

I think you would be pushing it to do the journey in 20mins in the rush hour, but it might just be possible. You really need to try it out at that time of day I think.
new2me

Post by new2me »

You might be able to do it if your DS will run from the Abbey down Holywell Hill to meet you somewhere at the bottom, e.g. Sainsbury's or Westminster Lodge car parks. At that time of the morning you are going against the flow of traffic but can still queue for a while to turn right out of Sumpter's Yard ( road that leads to the Cathedral ).

There is a more flexibility around the 4pm start, but at that time you are battling with the rest of the rush hour traffic heading into St Albans. Again, if you can make it as far the bottom of Holywell Hill, it's faster to walk/ run up the hill than wait your turn in the traffic.
Waiting_For_Godot

I've sent an email to the Director of Music but it may be that his age goes against him even though he has had an extensive choir training. Is your child a chorister New2Me?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Run up Holywell Hill?! You must be fitter than me (thats not too difficult).
new2me

Post by new2me »

DS is an ex-chorister.

In terms of running up Holywell Hill, I can barely crawl up it, but hopefully the DS in question is a fit child. Traffic is so bad heading into St Albans that even DH abandoned the car in favour of a 30 minute walk to the station, as it was still faster than driving.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Wouldn't worry about Holywell Hill, that's not the issue. Nearly fell of my chair with laughter :lol: :lol: when I read 20 mins in rush hour from St Albans to Purcell. Not a chance - Sorry. The traffic around Purcell. Costco Roundabout - junction of A41 and Aldenham Road is an absolute nightmare in the morning.

I live near Radlett, so approx half way between Purcell and St Albans. I always drive DS to school ( he's at Queens, so next to Purcell) as we can normally beat the public bus service and leave later than the bus. We leave at 7.40 and usually I drop him at the MET Police car park before 8am. Leaving 10 or 15 mins later can add an extra 30mins of queuing along Aldenham Road. Had a nightmare journey this morning due to roadworks - took over 1hr.

Good Luck
Waiting_For_Godot

Ally, I'm thinking of living in Radlett but I can drop DS at 7:20am if I wish. It's early morning practice and I'd rather he did it there than at home! :twisted: Should traffic be ok then?
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi WFG
If your OH is travelling into London, Radlett and it's surrounding areas are great ( but can be expensive) locations, because of the good train link and it's only a short drive up to Purcell.
So you're aiming to drop DS at Purcell for 7.20? Traffic from St Albans at 7am ish should be fine, but just based on the distance and the types of roads, you might be cutting it fine.

Ally
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now