Parmiter's - Out of catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Parmiter's - Out of catchment

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Pushy Dad wrote:
Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Interesting that PushyDad's child was 2nd in music. Does this mean the level of applicant is extraordinarily high as it would be our only means of entry?
DD was beaten by 1 point. She was saying that she missed out on one of the listening questions when someone scraped their chair and another coughed, thus drowning out the question. Grrrrrrr ! :)

II obviously can't speak about the kid who got the music place but, if it helps, at the time DD was Grade 5 Distinction in both Music Theory and Violin. If you DC is miles better than this then you should be confident of securing that one place.
It should be a headphone test. How ridiculous as any noise could put them off. I wouldn't say miles ahead. Grade 7 level bassoon but no theory although he knows a lot.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

It was a headphone test but when you are listening intensely the unexpecteded noise was enough to throw you off.

You should feel confident with Grade 7. If you are waiting to hear the results - Good luck.
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Pushy Dad wrote:It was a headphone test but when you are listening intensely the unexpecteded noise was enough to throw you off.
I didn't realise any of the Consortium schools did the music test with headphones? Certainly those sitting at WGGS two years ago didn't. It's always been one of my bugbears about that test, (which I always thought was designed for headphones), along with the vastly different 'listening spaces' you get, depending on which school you sit it at.

(Sorry, have looked at the preview and realised I don't know how to do the quoty thing).
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not a headphone test. I stood outside the exam hall at St Clement Danes two years in a row because I arrived for pickup while the music aural test was stilll going on and by chance both years I could see the dd's through the window panel of the door. It was quite funny to see them all listening intently with pens poised and then all the heads dive down to tick the answer box. At both DAO and the Watford consortium schools the music aural test is just to get the numbers down. It is really all about the audition which is the second round. DG
WP

Post by WP »

Daogroupie wrote:At both DAO and the Watford consortium schools the music aural test is just to get the numbers down. It is really all about the audition which is the second round.
Parmiter's and Queens' are exceptions to this: they add together the aural test score and the audition score and rank on that.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

That is very interesting WP. So this would give them a different mix of music students than those who just take the audition score. I am surprised that the Consortium allows this. As the examiners don't know which school you are applying to, a great audition might not be enough to make up for a low test score. Surely they should all do one or the other? DG
WP

Post by WP »

Daogroupie wrote:That is very interesting WP. So this would give them a different mix of music students than those who just take the audition score. I am surprised that the Consortium allows this. As the examiners don't know which school you are applying to, a great audition might not be enough to make up for a low test score. Surely they should all do one or the other?
Each school runs their admissions according to their own criteria; they just get together to cooperate on the tests, and then each make their own use of the results. Some members have also reported that different schools have different cutoffs on the aural test for deciding whether a candidate goes on to audition. It's really a small-c consortium.
wtfd

Post by wtfd »

Daogroupie wrote:That is very interesting WP. So this would give them a different mix of music students than those who just take the audition score. I am surprised that the Consortium allows this. As the examiners don't know which school you are applying to, a great audition might not be enough to make up for a low test score. Surely they should all do one or the other? DG
As I understand it - the test scores and audition scores are combined at those schools, but only those who score highly in the test initially are invited to audition. So there is no chance of anyone with a low test score getting in.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, I realise that. Both my dd's sat the aural and did the audition at the Watford School of Music. I meant relatively low score, meaning that an applicant could have less marks at the aural and then score really highly at the audition but still lose the place to an applicant that did not play as well but got more marks on the aural. Surely the music places should go to those who can play an instrument or sing rather than those who can recognise chords in an aural but may not actually be able to play or sing. DG
AlisonR

Post by AlisonR »

The music test run by the consortium is meant to be a test of aptitude to music. I like the "idea" that those students that may have a natural ear for music but haven't yet had the opportunity to play an instrument, could perhaps gain a music place on their potential.

Alison
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now