My own 11+ personal experience, as I remember!

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11nuts

My own 11+ personal experience, as I remember!

Post by 11nuts »

Its only now with in retrospect can I look back and remember when I was instructed by my parents to pass the 11+ test.

Come the day of the test and it was a cold winter morning. My dad was on holiday and I was transported to the test by a family friend. We went to an old school and taken into an equally cold classroom where we all sat down. The test started and I immediately felt the paper was more difficult than I had imagined, trying to work through new questions which were presented whilst at the same time keeping an eye on the clock. With half time approaching I was struggling at the 1/3 point and then suddenly a boy puts his hand up and says he is finished. Much to my amazement - he had even checked it!

I sort of knew at this stage I had failed! The results came out and whilst the kids in the class were opening letters of success, I had mine to look forward to on Saturday. I opened the letter and it was not the best news.

Forward a few years, and whilst I am determined to give my children better starts in their lives, I am more determined not to let one test leave a bitter taste.
laretta

Re: My own 11+ personal experience, as I remember!

Post by laretta »

Just out of interest, is that by ensuring they are well prepared or by not letting them sit? Just wondering as you post can be read either way.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

laretta wrote:Just out of interest, is that by ensuring they are well prepared or by not letting them sit? Just wondering as you post can be read either way.
By being a little more prepared. I would like to think that the application of the emphasis is on the effort involved rather than the result...i.e. I would rather fail having given 100%.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Absolutely

I Reminded my dd daily while she was doing her prep, that it was because she put in 100% effort, there could be no regrets whatever the outcome, but it would be awful in retrospect to think if only I had done more. Now it's less than 2 weeks and we will know.

Regards
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now