A year on....

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tamilla

A year on....

Post by Tamilla »

It actually made me feel sick the realisation that it was a year ago when my life was turned upside down. 24 of dd's class mates got wgsg on distance or sibling and mine got westfield. dd was distraught and I felt a failure. After much deliberation I transferred her to Bushey Academy as I liked its ethos and plans for the future but secretly I was praying something else would come up. Whilst all our friends celebrated we felt awful I saw numerous happy postings on fb and conversations about buying school uniforms and looking forward to what lay ahead and and I felt just awful. I couldn't understand why we didn't get to have the same excitement doing these things.

I spent months on an appeal, had mitigating circumstance and evidence of her 5s across the board but the whole thing was a waste of time and not one Watford appeal was upheld. Well she got to 5 on wggs waiting list from 24 on distance and as far as I know is still on it but she LOVES Bushey Academy and would refuse point blank to go anywhere else now.

The teaching is wonderful. The school is approachable and I get monthly reports home on her progress via lovely royal mail as do all parents. She is encouraged to take pride in herself and her work and has made some wonderful friends. She genuinely is "proud to belong" and the head teacher is key in making all the children understand that they are the ones who can make the school special. Intake this year is 200 dd came home and told me proudly yesterday the highest in many years! I have a feeling by the time my youngest is due to start secondary a place for Bushey will be something to celebrate as well which will be wonderful but to those of you struggling I know many children in a variety of schools and each of these schools has some happy and some not so happy children but don't be put off if your child didn't get first choice it may be a blessing in disguise and please enjoy every moment if you can as it is just as wonderful seeing your child achieve in a school they love as opposed to one you think they should be in :) with very best wishes ***

I have to say as well that Westfield children also are doing well and my friends year 9 daughter is taking a second gcse this summer having gained a B in maths in yr 8!!!
Daogroupie

Re: A year on....

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you very much for posting this. So lovely to hear about your dd and how happy she is. I hope you can give hope to those on here who are feeling brought down. DG
Tamilla

Post by Tamilla »

Thank you DG x I just feel so worried for the parents who felt like I did of course I would have liked what I saw as the best for DD but her grades are still great, she does her homework on time and the feedback from her lessons is good and on the vivo points system she has 500 and is third in her form (these are rewards for behaviour, work, attitude and treatment of others). It really isnt the end of the world as it seems at the time and had I known I would have enjoyed our time much more last year. I do think it is important to view the school you have been offered and see for sure..., could it be a good place for your child to learn x
Red Dog

Post by Red Dog »

Thanks Tamila, that was so lovely to read, I'm so glad it worked out for you and your DD. What a lovely positive feeling you've sent out. :)
Jallebi

Post by Jallebi »

I'm sure many people will appreciate your words Tamila. I think what we must remember is that our children will all achieve and become confident individuals at whichever school they go to, because they re well supported at home and have proved they are more than capable, having gone through this EP experience.

I'm not the best with words, so forgive if me if my point is not clear.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now