Has anyone turned down a selective Comp for a 2nd Tier Indie

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ConcernedDad

Re: Has anyone turned down a selective Comp for a 2nd Tier I

Post by ConcernedDad »

Tdada wrote:We turned done Watford Grammar/QE for Habs Boys......cheaper than being divorced by my DW which was the other option
Bravo! Bravo! Very clear thinking!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So do tell us what dw thinks you can get at Habs boys that does not exist at QE/Watford Boys? DG
Tdada

Post by Tdada »

That was a joke. It is a whole long topic. I suspect that we are paying for a few extra rugby and cricket pitches and a bit of social exclusion.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

I find this quite interesting as I went to Habs but DS1 goes to WBGS. From what I can see so far (he's only in Y8) they are very similar in terms of what they offer.
Tdada

Post by Tdada »

Think I will send an email to DW suggesting that we make the change and see what happens. :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

But do tell us what it is SHE thinks she is getting at Habs that does not exist at QE boys and Watford Boys. Do Habs get 30 boys into medicine? I am interested to know what DW sees there. DG
Tdada

Post by Tdada »

Hmm......wondering how to negotiate that question especially as DD might be faced with the same choice this year.
RationalityRules

Post by RationalityRules »

DG, I think we should all respect each other's right to choose without demanding explanations. I'm sure you don't mean them to, but your posts sound a little defensive and critical of someone else's choice of school. When any family is making the difficult choice between these two types of schooling there are several factors to take into account, not just the academic outcome of the schools. The OP's wife may prefer Habs to the state schools for her particular child for any number of reasons and neither she nor her husband should feel under pressure to explain that choice.

Personally, our family are turning down independent school offers in favour of WBGS and I wish much success and happiness to anyone who is making the same or the opposite choice. RR
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

RR, People come here for help and advice on how to make these decisions. It really helps for others to give guidance and explain what criteria they used. I have been asked twice in the past 24 hours to help families make these choices. But if he does not wish to discuss it, that is of course his choice. DG
Cutting42

Post by Cutting42 »

For me at least the Indie vs State school discussion can be about more than just academic or pastoral care provision. In the UK - as a nation, many still assign characteristics of "poshness" or "snobbery" to independent schools, just look at how newspapers refer to them as "the exclusive seven thousand pound a term private school" - I paraphrase but you have all seen this language. I think this is why many people and I include some of my friends, will not mention or discuss their decisions as they are concerned about appearing elitist and better than the rest.

This is massively unfair as we are all interested (you are on this forum aren't you :) ) in the best for our children and I know that we visited an indie school for DD as a reserve position but it would have crippled us financially so to be honest probably could not have gone that route. They (at least in my limited experience) are deeply impressive places with astonishing resources and the DC we met there were confident, self assured and extremely engaging personalities. If I had the money I would be seriously tempted despite my working class grandparents spinning in their graves.

The school we visited spent a lot of time emphasising a rounded education not so much on academic results and were clearly pitching to the worried parents of DC who were possibly marginal for the consortium schools. It was an effective pitch and you could hear people discussing going without a new car or the annual holiday. Kind of scary really but tells you how powerful the feelings are.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now