WGGS rise in popularity this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
herty

WGGS rise in popularity this year

Post by herty »

Interested to note that this year, WGGS' scores relative to the other consortium schools were up, and the distance measurement down, suggesting that WGGS is gaining in popularity. It was the first year i could see where it has been harder to get into the girls' school than the boys', and as usual, it is harder to get into either of the Watford schools from the outer area than Parmiters, by several points.

There are always lots of threads on here about HBS and QE Boys - so I thought I'd redress the balance. :) We visited 9 state schools (!) including my old school, HBS, before deciding on WGGS for my dd, and feel 100% happy with our decision. Pleased to see that others appear to be becoming aware of the school's strengths - we have been blown away by the incredibly high standards of teaching and lovely girls. :)
HenryVIII

Re: WGGS rise in popularity this year

Post by HenryVIII »

Herty, I think this is a bright year (current Y6). Look at the pattern across all the schools - BM up 6 points for Band A. Just to note - watch out for current Y4. DS2's class - most seem to be working at level 4 - not unusual I know, but a large number in this class and with older brothers in WGSB/sisters at Parmiters and some able to get in to the GSs/selectives on their own merit, it does look as though a larger proportion than usual will get a selective place.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes, QE boys passmark was up as was DAO's Current Y4 will also have time to get the best out of the new exam dates as opposed to current Y5 being in react mode. I would expect that the mocks industry will get their act together and start making dates available much earlier leaving more time to react to the feedback and get even higher marks. I expect to see the pass marks going up again next year. DG
herty

Post by herty »

Agreed, that all the pass marks are up this year, though my key word was actually 'relatively' - ie WGGS required scores higher than the boys' school for the first year on record for both inner and outer and were up relative to Parmiters. So I'm pleased that that suggests that numbers or quality of applicants or both appear to be up at the school, which it well deserves. Either that, or it's a v good year for bright girls! Go girl power!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now